Deputies searching for man who led them on chase from Rowan County to Guilford County

Published 12:00 am Wednesday, June 19, 2024

SALISBURY — The sheriff’s office has taken out warrants for the arrest of a Greensboro man after deputies said that he led them on a chase from Rowan County to Guilford County.

The incident began at approximately 2:26 a.m. on Sunday, when a deputy noticed three motorcycles traveling north on Interstate 85, one of which did not have any rear lights on, making it difficult to see in the dark, said Captain Mark McDaniel, public information officer for the Rowan County Sheriff’s Office.

The deputy reportedly got beside the group near the Webb Road exit and activated his lights to get their attention. The rear motorcycle in the group slowed down and allowed the deputy to get in the middle, behind the blacked-out vehicle, said McDaniel.The deputy then reportedly attempted to stop the motorcycle around the Peeler Road exit, at which point both of the motorcycles still grouped together allegedly sped up to 100 mph in an attempt to flee.

The deputy, with assistance from two other deputies and a N.C. State Highway Patrol Trooper, pursued the two motorcyclists as they drove north at speeds of between 100 and 130 mph, said McDaniel. Near exit 84, two of the deputies reportedly split off to chase the blacked-out motorcycle while the trooper and another deputy continued to pursue the other motorcycle.

The driver of the blacked-out motorcycle allegedly slowed down to approximately 70 mph around the same time that the chase split to put distance between himself and the other motorcycle. The pursuit then continued at approximately 120 mph, until the motorcyclist took exit 128 before driving off-road and returning onto the northbound side of the interstate, said McDaniel.

Eventually, the motorcycle exited the interstate in Greensboro and ran a red light at an intersection, which forced the deputy to slow down for safety, said McDaniel. The motorcyclist allegedly turned right and attempted to continue at a speed of approximately 70 mph through a sharp turn which caused him to crash.

When the deputy caught up to the motorcycle, he noticed that the driver had run into a concrete drainpipe, which caused him to be ejected and break his forearm, said McDaniel. The deputies reportedly secured the driver, identified as Jaquan McCray, and called for EMS. While waiting, they asked McCray if he had any weapons, to which he said that he had a pistol in his pocket, said McDaniel.

Deputies were reportedly unable to find the pistol on McCray, but a search of the area revealed that a 9mm Glock-19 had fallen into the grass near the crash.

The initial deputy also learned during this time that the other chase had also ended in a similar crash, after which the driver was unable to be located after fleeing on foot, said McDaniel.

McCray was transported to Moses Cone Hospital in Greensboro for further treatment. When the deputy called the hospital at approximately 7:45 p.m. on Sunday to check on McCray, he was reportedly informed that McCray had been discharged from the hospital. The deputy then took out warrants for McCray’s arrest and contacted the Guilford County Sheriff’s Office for assistance, said McDaniel.