Two arrested on gun charges after fleeing police

Published 12:00 am Sunday, April 28, 2024

ROWAN COUNTY — A man and a juvenile have been arrested and deputies are searching for two more suspects after police said they fled from a traffic stop, eventually crashing into a utility pole.

The incident began at approximately 3:15 a.m. on Friday, when a deputy noticed a white Dodge Charger driving on the northbound side of Interstate 85 without a registration plate displayed, according to a release from the Rowan County Sheriff’s Office. The deputy reportedly stopped the Charger near exit 68, but when the deputy got out of his vehicle and approached the vehicle, the driver allegedly drove off at a high rate of speed.

The deputy pursued the Charger, reportedly losing sight of it and beginning to search the surrounding area. The Charger was located on Jake Alexander Boulevard near the Stokes Ferry Road intersection and deputies began another pursuit, according to the release. Stop sticks were deployed at Faith Road and West Innes Street and the Charger struck them, but allegedly continued driving on East Innes Street. 

The Charger then turned left onto South Shaver Street where it ran into a utility pole, according to the release. Four occupants of the vehicle allegedly jumped out and ran on foot.

One of the passengers, identified as 20-year-old Joshua Marcques Boyd, was arrested soon after. Deputies reportedly discovered that a gun he was carrying had been reported as stolen. Another passenger, a juvenile, was apprehended and transported to the hospital with non-life-threatening injuries, according to the release.

The other two occupants of the vehicle, including the driver, had not been arrested as of Friday afternoon.

Byrd was charged with resisting, delaying and obstructing an officer; carrying a concealed gun; and possession of a stolen firearm. He was transported to the Rowan County Detention Center and given a $5,000 bond, according to detention center records.