Hargrave Military Academy head basketball coach Lee Martin (Catawba) has accepted a position as an assistant men’s basketball coach at Ohio University, per a release.
Area Sport Briefs: Longtime Catawba coach Haggerty dies
Published 12:00 am Friday, June 26, 2020
From staff reports
Bill Haggerty, a fixture in the Catawba College athletic department for nearly three decades, passed away on Thursday.
Haggerty served as head women’s basketball coach (1984-87) for the Indians, as well as head men’s and women’s cross country coach (2000-13).
He was an assistant men’s basketball coach from 1987-2013.
He was director of athletic facilities at Catawba from 1987-2000 and director of camps from 1985-2012.
Haggerty’s most recent post was as AD for Davie County schools.
A story on Haggerty will be in Sunday’s edition.
NC3 Junior baseball
East Rowan rallied from a 4-0 deficit and won 6-5 against Mocksville on Thursday.
Tristan Miller threw six innings in relief, gave up one run and got the win.
Dylan Valley had three hits. Braden Shive, Blake Hill and Hunter Campbell had two hits.
McCall Henderson’s sac fly scored Cobb Hightower with the winning run in the bottom of the seventh.
East is home on Tuesday against West Rowan.
NC3 Senior baseball
Rowan County is home at Newman Park against Mocksville for a doubleheader on Saturday, with a 5 p.m. start. Rowan hosts Mount Airy for two games on Sunday.
WINSTON-SALEM — In the 53rd North Carolina Junior Boys Championship at Maple Chase Golf and Country Club in Winston-Salem, Salisbury’s Charlie Barr won two matches on Thursday.
Barr, the No. 54 seed in the event, won 6 and 4 on Thursday morning in his third-round match.
Barr won his quarterfinal match, 1-up.
Barr trailed most of the back nine, but leveled the match with a par on the 14th.
The match was tied going to the 18th. Barr’s second shot on the par-5 hole— a 5-iron from 200 yards out landed just a few feet from the hole.
Barr, a rising senior at Cannon School, navigated his way through a 20 for 13 playoff on Tuesday afternoon to get into the match play portion of the championship.
North Carolina Junior Boys Championship
Clayson Good, Durham def. Zach Roberts, Holly Springs, 2 and 1
Kyle Kushnir, Raleigh def. Jennings Glenn, Raleigh, 4 and 3
Davis Adams, Raleigh def. Jake Herring, Wilson, 4 and 2
Charlie Barr, Salisbury def. Carter Busse, Davidson, 1 up
Friday, June 26
8:00 a.m. – 8:10 a.m. Semifinals
12:30 p.m. Championship Match
Salisbury’s Michael Childress (Cannon School, Richmond) has shot 72-71 in the first two rounds of the Golfweek Myrtle Beach Collegiate and is tied for seventh.
Match play starts today in the Rowan Masters at Warrior.
First round, Friday, June 26
(1) Nick Lyerly vs. (32) Will Fowler, 2 p.m.
(17) Dennis Brunelle vs. (16) Landon Merrill, 2 p.m.
(8) Derek Lipe vs. (25) Pat Girard, 2:10 p.m.
(9) Patrick Gregg vs. (24) Dan Hurd, 2:10 p.m.
(4) Keith Dorsett vs. (29) Cameron Williams, 2:20 p.m.
(13) William Baude vs. (20) Ben Rollins, 2:20 p.m.
(5) Justin Lefler vs. (28) Nick Funderburke, 2:30 p.m.
(12) Robert Shoaf vs. (21) Preston Jones, 2:30 p.m.
(2) Charlie Barr vs. (31) Curt Thomas, 2:40 p.m.
(15) Ryan Burke vs. (18) Mike Helms, 2:40 p.m.
(26) Jon Waller vs. (7) Ritchie Fesperman, 2:50 p.m.
(10) Andrew Morgan vs. (23) Kevin Stimberis, 2:50 p.m.
(30) Stephen Bullock vs. (3) Hank Robins, 3 p.m.
(19) Seth Waller vs. (14) Chris Williams, 3 p.m.
(6) Michael Swaringen vs. (27) Michael Dorsett, 3:10 p.m.
(11) Sean Kramer vs. (22) Owen Swavely, 3:10 p.m.
Martin has been the head coach at Hargrave since 2017. Before that, he was the associate head coach and an assistant coach for two years each.
Former Hargrave AD Thomas Messinger has been selected to lead the program’s postgraduate team next season.