Blotter: Local man charged with breaking into Kannapolis church
By Shavonne Potts
KANNAPOLIS — A local man was charged this week after he was spotted running from a church that was broken into, according to the Rowan County Sheriff’s Office.
The agency charged Dustin Eugene Splawn, 32, with felony breaking and entering, larceny after breaking and entering, and injury to personal property. He remains in the Rowan County Detention Center under a $35,000 secured bond. He also faces additional breaking and entering and larceny charges regarding other matters.
A witness said they saw a man walking around the church and he “looked like he was stealing things.”
The witness said the man ran through nearby woods and was wearing khakis and a gray shirt. The deputy found a door that had been pried open and spoke with the pastor, who said the door was not like that the day before, according to a report.
The deputy and the pastor found several bags of items outside that belonged to the church. The church offices had been rummaged through and multiple computers were missing. The items that had been inside desk drawers were on the floor.
The deputy and pastor walked to another building and found it had been broken into as well. The rest of the items taken from the church included a laptop and office supplies that were on a cart. The deputy found a water bottle on the ground.
The witness reported seeing the suspect standing beside the church drinking from a water bottle.
A K-9 was called out to search for the suspect who was spotted by another deputy at 2124 West C Street. The deputy said the man match the description except he was not wearing a shirt. The shirt was found later on the front porch of the home at West C Street.
Splawn was detained and positively identified by the witness.
In other Rowan County Sheriff’s Office reports
• A man reported on Saturday someone stole items from his vehicle in the 2300 block of Upper Palmer Road.
• A man reported on Saturday his lawnmower was stolen from his property in the 6300 block of South Main Street.
• A woman reported on Sunday someone tried to steal items from her vehicle while parked in the 1100 block of Zion Church Road, Gold Hill.
• Dillon Ray Jackson, 18, was charged on Sunday with felony breaking and entering vehicles while in the 13100 block of Old Beatty Ford Road.
• Kristen Jordan Bailey, 22, was charged on Sunday with misdemeanor simple possession of Schedule II controlled substance while in the 7200 block of Stokes Ferry and Trexler roads.
In Salisbury Police Department reports
• A woman reported on Monday her wallet was stolen while she was at Cold Stone Creamery, 343 Faith Road.
• U-Haul of Oregon reported on Monday someone failed to return a rental truck to the 2900 block of South Main Street.