• 37°

School board will discuss contract to manage substitute teacher placement

By Carl Blankenship
carl.blankenship@salisburypost.com

SALISBURY – The Rowan-Salisbury School Board on Monday will discuss a contract with Michigan-based Kelly Education to take over management of its substitute teacher program.

The district currently runs its own substitute teacher placement program, and Kelly specializes in substitute management. It can follow local and state hiring practices, according to Monday’s agenda documents.

Kelly’s services include no hour cap for substitutes, incident management, support and free continuing education for employees as well as professional development for substitutes.

According to the presentation, which will be given by RSS Human Resources Chief Kristi Rhone, the district currently has a 75% teacher fill rate. That means the remaining 25% of classes are not filled by a substitute. Presently, regular subs for the district can only work 29.5 hours a week, and the district uses about 100 substitutes a day.

The presentations to be given at Monday’s meeting, which will be held virtually, include estimates if the district were to reach an 85% fill rate in house compared to contracting with Kelly. The estimated cost with Kelly is just under $2.1 million. It is $7,388 less than if the district were to manage its sub program in house.

Current substitutes will be grandfathered in as Kelly employees and be eligible for benefits.

The proposal is listed as a discussion item rather than an item for the board to vote on at the meeting.

The district will also look at approving the latest pair of renewal plans. Faith Elementary School and Carson High School will both present their plans at the meeting.

Faith’s plan includes goals to increase Lexile growth, improve classroom engagement and emphasize student passions.

Some of the goals in Carson’s plan includes mastery of standards in the district’s accountability model and having 100% of students articulate a post-graduation plan by 2021.

The board periodically approves new renewal plans. The plans are presented for implementation this school year. And while COVID-19 has upended public and private life, Faith Elementary had been facing possible closure in the 2021-2022 school year.

David Blattner, the district’s chief technology officer, will present a contract to upgrade network infrastructure at schools under e-rate category 2 funding, which is paid for mostly by federal funding. A remainder is provided by the state, except for network management services that will cost the district $35,100.

As part of the contract, the district would license 2,745 access points, replace 40 switches and 49 battery back ups.

The board will also discuss consolidation and redistricting, which the board has been discussion for years. Prior to the COVID-19 pandemic, it had been considering Faith and Enochville elementary schools for closure after next school year.

BOE Chair Kevin Jones said the item is being included to keep the issue on the agenda and continue to discuss the timeline.

Comments

Coronavirus

10% of Rowan residents receive first dose; eight COVID-19 deaths reported this week

News

North Carolina State Highway Patrol commander to retire

Education

UNC School of the Arts may go for online learning due to COVID-19 spread

Coronavirus

Greensboro site to administer 3,000 daily vaccine doses starting March 10

Nation/World

$1.9 billion relief bill closer to passage in House

Nation/World

Lady Gaga’s dogs recovered safely

Coronavirus

Advisers OK single-shot COVID-19 vaccine from J&J

Local

Post wins 18 N.C. Press Association Awards

Education

Cooper vetoes bill that would force K-12 schools to reopen

Local

Lanning named Spencer’s fire chief

Crime

Blotter: Feb. 26

Crime

Salisbury, Kannapolis men charged with soliciting sexual acts

News

Racial bias ‘deeply entrenched’ in report critical of Apex Police Department

Nation/World

US bombs facilities in Syria used by Iran-backed militia

Elections

City council again dismisses idea of adding new member, focus now on recommendation to delay elections

Business

‘Let’s make some money:’ Loosened restrictions praised by bar owners, baseball team

High School

Salisbury High bucks historical trend in dominant shutout of West Rowan

Enochville

Garage declared total loss after Enochville fire

Crime

Cooper, N.C. prison officials agree to release 3,500 inmates

Coronavirus

Two more COVID-19 deaths reported in Rowan, six for the week

Crime

Blotter: Man brandishes AR-15, runs over motorcycle at Rockwell-area gas station

Crime

Salisbury man charged with exploitation of minor

Crime

Road rage incident results in assault charges

Local

Dukeville lead testing results trickle in, more participation needed