Letter: Applications now open for NC pre-K in Rowan County
This community is blessed to have multiple pre-K options for families.
If your child will be 4 on or before August 31, now is the time to start planning for his or her pre-K year. The year before kindergarten provides so many opportunities for young children to learn and grow and to help them be prepared for kindergarten, both academically and socially.
For over two decades, Smart Start Rowan has served young children and their families and ensured that children enter school healthy and ready for success.
One key component of Smart Start Rowan’s work is administration and oversight of the N.C. pre-K program in Rowan County. It is a state-funded, high-quality program designed to enhance school readiness and prepare 4-year-olds for kindergarten. A child that meets the age requirement is eligible for N.C. pre-K if the child’s family has a gross income level that is below 75% of the state median income. If the family’s income is over this level, the child may still qualify if one or more of the following criteria is identified:
• Child is experiencing homelessness.
• Child has an identified disability indicated by a current individualized education program/plan.
• Child has limited English proficiency.
• Child has a developmental or educational need.
• Child has a chronic health condition.
• Child has a parent or legal guardian who is an active duty member in the armed forces, National Guard or Reserve Unit or whose parent or legal guardian has been seriously injured or killed while on active duty.
Rowan County NC pre-K classrooms are housed at public school sites, Head Start sites and child care facilities throughout the county.
Please visit our website, rowan-smartstart.org, for more information about this wonderful early education program as well as a list and detailed information about all Rowan County NC pre-K sites available for children.
Smart Start Rowan is currently accepting applications for the 2020-2021 NC pre-K school year. So, please call us at 704-630-9085 to schedule an appointment with a staff member.
— Amy Brown
Editor’s note: Amy Brown is executive director of Smart Start Rowan.
By John Hood RALEIGH — I am a conservative who seeks to expand freedom and limit government. In most circumstances,... read more