Coronavirus local event cancellations or postponements
The following events have been postponed or canceled because of concerns about COVID-19, which is caused by coronavirus:
• The Rowan County Chamber of Commerce’s Military Talent Attraction event scheduled for March 20 – 21, 2020, has been postponed. A welcome reception was scheduled for March 20 from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. A job fair and hiring event was scheduled March 21 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the Salisbury VA.
• The Chamber of Commerce also canceled its Power in Partnership breakfast scheduled for Thursday. Spalding said the event will be postponed because Agriculture Commissioner Steve Troxler said he is unable to travel from Raleigh to Salisbury.
• Other upcoming Chamber events that have been postponed include the mayor’s roundtable scheduled for Friday, the Chamber Board of Directors meeting scheduled for Monday, a ribbon-cutting ceremony with the health department scheduled for Monday, the Minority Business Council meeting scheduled for Tuesday and the Chamber’s international trip to Spain scheduled for March 23.
• The Special Olympics of North Carolina has cancelled all practices, sport events, fundraising events and health and wellness programming for the month of March. That includes local athletes. Planning for events after March 31 is continuing as usual.
• Community Care Clinic’s Fashions for a Cause, which was scheduled April 1 at Catawba College, was canceled.
• The Brady Author Symposium, sponsored by Catawba College, has been postponed. The college says the event will be rescheduled.
• The Annual Volunteer Recognition Banquet hosted by Rowan Helping Ministries and the J.F. Hurley YMCA, scheduled for Tuesday night, has been canceled. Erica Taylor, director of Community Relations at Rowan Helping Ministries, said there are tentative plans to reschedule the event for some time in May.
• The Rowan Democratic Party’s regular breakfast event scheduled for Saturday morning at the headquarters on West Innes Street has been canceled.
• Rowan Public Library is extending a grace period through May 31 to all borrowers of physical materials. Typically, physical materials have a two-week borrowing period, with two renewals allowed and overdue fines after that. The grace period automatically applies to all physical materials on loan and any checked out between now and May 31.
If we’ve missed any events, email firstname.lastname@example.org with details about the cancellation or postponement.
SALISBURY — The driver of a Geo Metro remains in critical condition after his vehicle was pinned underneath a dump... read more