Blotter: Two arrested, charged after domestic assault in vehicle
Salisbury police arrested and charged one man and one woman after an investigation revealed a domestic assault between the two. According to a department report, a 5-year-old child was in the vehicle when the altercation began.
Jaquan Davis, 20, of the 200 block of Harrel Street was charged with one count of assault on a female by a male over 18 years of age and one count of injury to personal property.
Avril Sanchez, 19, of the 100 block of Doyle Avenue, was also arrested and charged with domestic violence assault. Both were booked at the Rowan County Detention Center with no bond.
An investigation revealed that both Davis and Sanchez were in a vehicle when Davis told Sanchez he cheated on her, which prompted her to punch him in the nose. Davis got out of the vehicle and grabbed a wooden chair and hit the car and broke the windows with it, according to police spokesperson Lt. Lee Walker.
Sanchez removed the child from the vehicle before Davis began beating Sanchez while on top of her, Walker said. Both sustained minor injuries, and the assault resulted in $300 worth of damage to the vehicle.
The Department of Social Services was contacted before the child was released to a family member.
In other Salisbury Police Department reports:
- A warrant was served Thursday at an apartment at the Babcock dorm on Livingstone College’s campus in reference to a robbery with a dangerous weapon for Deja Moore, 22, of the 700 block of West Monroe Street. She was taken into custody by the Rowan County Sheriff’s Office and was held under a $15,000 bond.
- Jennifer Hotchkiss, 31, of the 500 block of Cal Miller Road in Rockwell, was charged on Thursday with fleeing a traffic stop near the corner of West Kerr and North Church streets. The vehicle she was driving had been reported stolen from Ashe County. She was placed under a $10,000 bond.
- Gary Duff, 27, of the 600 block of Mocksville Avenue, was arrested on a charge of simple assault and battery or affray on Thursday.
In Rowan County Sheriff’s Office reports:
- Joseph Parham Jr., 20, was charged on Wednesday with displaying material harmful to minors in reference to a warrant from Davie County. He was already in custody of the Rowan County Detention Center when the warrant was served.
- Michael Hemphill, 32, was charged with possession of heroin on Wednesday at the Shell station and Mike’s Convenience Store located at 5810 S. Main St.
- A woman reported on Wednesday an unlawful entry into her home on the 500 block of Tanner Road in Richfield.
RALEIGH — Kannapolis Mayor Darrell Hinnant will serve on the new Advancing Municipal Leaders Advisory Committee of the North Carolina... read more