• 70°

Rowan weather: Calm before the storm

Today will be cloudy, but Saturday and Saturday night will be cloudy, windy, rainy and have a chance of strong to severe thunderstorms.

We have a 20 percent chance of showers after 1 p.m. The high will be 58, with south wind around 5 mph this afternoon.

Tonight will be cloudy and 52, with a 40 percent chance of showers. Southeast wind will be at 5-9 mph. Less than a tenth of an inch of rain is expected.

Saturday will be cloudy, but warm, with a high of 69. The chance of showers will be 60 percent, with showers before 8 a.m., then rain between 8 a.m. and 1 p.m., then showers. Again, less than a tenth of an inch of rain is expected. Winds will be from the south at 9-11 mph, with gusts as high as 24 mph.

Saturday night’s chance of showers and thunderstorms is 90 percent, with storms possible before 2 a.m., then showers between 2 and 4 a.m., then rain after 4. Winds will be south at 10-20 mph, gusting to 34 mph. A tenth to quarter inch of rain is predicted, with higher amounts in thunderstorms. Some storms could produce damaging wind and heavy rainfall.

Sunday has a 30 percent chance of rain, mainly before 7 a.m. It will be partly sunny and 69, with southwest wind around 5 mph.

A 40 percent chance of showers is possible after 11 p.m. It will be mostly cloudy and 50.

Monday brings a 50 percent chance of showers. It will be mostly cloudy and 64. Then the chance of rain increases to 70 percent Monday night, with rain before 8 p.m., then showers. It will be cloudy and 49.

Tuesday will also have a 70 percent chance of showers, mainly before noon. It will be cloudy and 63. Tuesday night will have just a 30 percent chance of showers, with mostly cloudy skies and a low of 48.

Wednesday will also have a 30 percent chance of showers, with mostly cloudy skies and a high of 67. The same chance of showers sticks around Wednesday night, with a low of 48 and clouds.

Thursday will be mostly sunny and 58.

Comments

BREAKING NEWS

Gov. Cooper lifts indoor mask mandate for most situations, gathering limits

BREAKING NEWS

Barnes gets new punishment of two life sentences in Tutterow couple’s 1992 murder

High School

High school football: State’s top honor goes to Jalon Walker

Local

Scout’s Honor: With dedication of flag retirement box, Salem Fleming earns Eagle Scout rank

College

North Carolina king, queen of NCAA lacrosse tourneys

Education

Kannapolis seniors walk elementary schools

Local

Local real estate company employees come out in force to build Habitat house

Local

Quotes of the week

Coronavirus

Auditors find oversight lacking for $3 billion of state’s pandemic aid

Nation/World

When will gas situation return to normal?

Local

Rowan native Shuping posthumously receives Concord Police Department’s Medal of Valor, Purple Heart

News

GOP measure on penalties for rioting draws fire

News

Black high school softball player told to cut hair

Coronavirus

State shows 303 COVID-19 deaths in Rowan

Coronavirus

CDC: Fully vaccinated people can largely ditch masks indoors

Crime

One arrested, another hospitalized in Castor Road stabbing

China Grove

China Grove Roller Mill open for tours Saturday

News

Facing personnel deficiencies, local fire departments request tax rate increases

Local

‘Panic buying’ creates gas supply shortages locally, statewide after pipeline cyberattack

Business

Twice as nice: Planet Smoothie opens alongside Cold Stone Creamery in co-branded store

Local

Spencer board gets update on South Iredell rat problem

Education

West Rowan teacher awarded $15,000 outdoor learning grant

Cleveland

Town of Cleveland plans celebration May 22

High School

High school girls tennis: Busy Hornets win again easily