By Shavonne Walker
SALISBURY — John Casey was at first opposed to getting another dog, but he soon grew to love the newest canine in the family — Gabby, a golden retriever.
When Casey was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s disease, the dog he once was averse to became his companion.
This week, Suzanne Casey gave to the Christmas Happiness fund in memory of her late husband, John, who passed away Nov. 11.
“John is still missed by many,” Suzanne wrote on a note accompanying her donation.
Gabby, too, misses John and watches the door for him to return. Suzanne and John were married for about 24 years.
The Christmas Happiness fund provides Rowan County families in need a way to purchase presents for their children. It was started nearly 70 ago by then-Post Editor Spencer Murphy who asked the community to help buy presents for area children in need.
The fund program is sponsored by the Salisbury Post, which collects contributions. The Rowan Salvation Army distributes vouchers to eligible families.
Today’s contributions are:
• In memory of Col. Tommy P. Trexler by Frances Trexler, $500.
• In loving memory of our son, Randall Gore by Steve and Malynda Peeler, $25.
• In honor of Rev. Aldana Allen by Providence United Methodist Women, $300.
• Delta X. Omega Chapter, Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, $150.
• In memory of the past members of Crown In Glory Lutheran Church by Crown In Glory Lutheran Church, $100.
• Mr. and Mrs. Rikki Spencer, $100.
• In memory of Hoyt Pope and in honor of Gwen, Harry and Pat, John and Peggy, Mike and Eddie by George and Blanche Glover, $100.
• In memory of Ward and Helen Ratledge by George Ratledge, $100.
• In loving memory of Leonard J. Rabon and Mary Alice Rabon by Gloria Rabon, $25.
• In memory of Michael Daniel and in honor of Kim Sheeks, $50.
• Rowan Doll Society, $61.
• In honor of Everyman’s Bible Class; First Presbyterian Church; Thank you to our Sunday School Members and to all of our many Great Sunday School Teachers, past and present by Johnny Safrit, $100.
• In loving memory of Sidney and Scotty Blume by Bett and Family, $50.
• Sheila Brownlow, $25.
• In memory of Butler, Dorothy, Buster, Ruth and Lin and in honor of John, Jane and Gail by Sue, $100.
• Judy and Garland Kluttz, $200.
• In memory of John Casey with love from his loyal Golden Retriever and wife, Suzanne, $100.
• In memory of Karen Morris and in honor of Ron Morris by The Goodmans, $100.
• In memory of Clay Thomas and in honor of Georgianna, Vance, Van and Blake by Vance Thomas, $200.
• In honor of a great lady by two thankful families, $500.
• In memory of my wife Jane by Tom Monroe, $100.
• In honor of Tues., Thurs 3:50 Ladies, $25.
• In memory of Al Boulus by Thelma Boulus, Sandy and Dan Flowe, Michael Boulus and his grandchildren, $100.
Running Total $40,639.65