By Shavonne Walker
SALISBURY — Doris Yost and her husband, Bob, have experienced some interesting adventures with their longtime friends and former neighbors, Steve and Jenny Jones and Ben and Susan Bernhardt.
The couples met when their children played T-ball together. This week, the Yosts honored their friendship by giving to the Christmas Happiness Fund.
Among other things, Doris Yost, a retired teacher, said they’ve gone through health scares with each other and that she’s thankful for the friendship.
The families have gone on vacations together, too. In fact, Yost jokingly said, they survived a two-week trip out west years ago in a pickup truck. The families have continued to travel together since that memorable trip.
Another memorable trip for Yost was a beach trip that didn’t quite end on a good note. She wound up sick and one of the other families went home with the flu.
“At this age, there’s not much we need except our friends,” Yost said.
The Christmas Happiness fund provides Rowan County families in need a way to purchase presents for their children. It was started nearly 70 years ago when then-Post Editor Spencer Murphy asked the community to help buy presents for area children in need.
The fund program is sponsored by the Salisbury Post, which collects contributions. The Rowan Salvation Army distributes vouchers to eligible families.
Today’s contributions are:
• Holly Jolly Pickleball Games, $15.
• In loving memory of Fred Josey by Billie, Debbie and Peggy and family, $25.
• In honor of grandchildren and Sadie Jane-great grand by Jim and Barbara Norman, $100.
• In loving memory of Anita Taylor Stone, Kathryn Edmond, Chuck Taylor and Lillie Edwards, $200.
• In honor of my Mom, Sheila B. Williams and in memory of Lorraine “Gran” Williams, Bernard R. Williams, Clifford “Pop” Bost and “Mimi” Hazel Bost by Brandon, $50.
• In honor of our Mom and Dad, Brandon and Brad Vinson by Neely, Taylor and Asher Vinson, $50.
• In memory of my deceased co-workers at the Rowan County Assessor’s Office: Wallace Peeler, Bill Snipes, John Smith, Jerry Rowland, Chubby Jordan, Binkie Williams, Virginia Kluttz, Mae Francis Johnson, Vivian Mull, Madolyn Yates, Margaret Young and Mildred Monroe by JHW, $30.
• In memory of Tim by Chip, $100.
• In memory of our parents Harry and Irene Rinehardt and Terry and MaryAnn Sifford and in honor of our friends and family in lieu of Christmas Cards by Tim and Janie Sifford, $100.
• In memory of John Sherrill by SHS 1973 classmates, $185.
• Love your Granite Friends: Gayle, Nancy, Tammy, Karen, Wanda, Ann, Carol, Sara, Roselyn and Bonnie, $50.
• Rock Grove United Methodist Church, $211.50.
• In memory of Dermot and Katharyn Weaver, Ned, Ilene and Mark Norris by Eric, Kathy, Erin, Kristen, Jonathan, Jack and Tyson, $100.
• In memory of Tiffany Nicole Day and in honor of Christina Marie Day, $20.
• In honor of Ott and Julie Pinkston. Love, Julie, Baxter, Lola, Izzy and Tux, $25.
• In loving memory of our sorority sisters Vicky Buchanan and Marla Blake. We love you and we miss you so much. With much love, your sisters of Laureate Alpha Pi Chapter of Beta Sigma Phi, $50.
• In memory of Eric Stephen Brooks from the family of Frank and Joyce Adams, $100.
• In memory of brother Tommy Ray Stoner by Jeanette Yost, $25.
• In loving memory of Kim Holshouser, $100.
Running Total $35,838.65