By Shavonne Walker
SALISBURY — Jesse and Kay McCartney have lived in their Woodfield subdivision for 11 years.
In that time, there has always been a group of neighbors who, void of a homeowner’s association, have donated money to maintain the entrance. In honor of their neighbors, the McCartneys donated this week to the Christmas Happiness Fund.
“They voluntarily support the maintenance of the entrance of the subdivision. They are neighbors who got together to decide this is worth doing,” Jesse McCartney said.
This is the first time McCartney and his wife have donated to the Christmas Happiness Fund. The proceeds from the fund benefits children during the holidays. The Salisbury Post collects money from the community and compiles a list of donors who are featured in the newspaper. The money is then given to the Rowan Chapter of the Salvation Army to distribute.
The neighborhood is located off Old Mocksville Road and is a mixture of families who’ve lived there longer than the McCartneys and some who’ve only recently moved there.
“We realize there are lots of children in the community who are needy and we’ve both been interested in doing this. She was a teacher’s assistant at Overton (Elementary) for many years. We are happy to contribute to the effort to make Christmas a little happier,” Jesse McCartney said.
Contributions may be delivered to the Salisbury Post, 131 W. Innes St., between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. weekdays or mailed to Salisbury Post Christmas Happiness Fund, P.O. Box 4639, Salisbury, NC 28145-4639.
Today’s contributions are:
• In memory of Jeff Surratt by his golf friends from Corbin Hills, $80.
• In honor of Mark Wineka by Jane and Mark Ritchie, $100.
• In honor of Dugan, Lucky and LuLu by Nan Zimmerman, $25.
• In memory and honor of all U.S. military veterans past, present and future by AMVETS Post 565, $50.
• Prime Timers First UCC, $25.
• In memory of Violet and Mason Lowrance by Tara and Sharon, $25.
• In loving memory of my father, James Ryan, and my brothers, Jimmy and Mike Ryan by Kathy R. Stoessel, $25.
• In loving memory of my father, Walter Wise, $100.
• Kevin Dennis, $100.
• In memory of Ralph Ketner and Wilson Smith by The Wednesday YaYas, $60.
• In memory of our dear Uncle and friend, Justin Monroe/our dear Paw-Paw and friend, Eddie Monore by Rob and Caroline Monroe and Corbin and Abby Smith, $40.
• In memory of Pete and Dot Connor and in honor of Larry Thomason, Charles Everson and Sylvia Bailey by Unity Sunday School of St. Matthew’s Lutheran Church $50.
• In memory of Mott Price, Jr. and Darrell Shive by Alfred and Rickie Price $50.
• In memory of Vivian Diggs, Sarah Basinger, Sandra Mowery and Linda Eidson by Wednesday Lunch Bunch, $120.
• Spencer Moose Lodge 2019, $100.
• In memory of Bud and Retta McClamrock and Darwin and Dallie Billingsley by Kim Billingsley, $250.
• In honor of Mitzi Grey, $200.
• Harold Poole $50.
• In loving memory of our parents and granddaughter by Warren and Evelyn Morgan, $100.
• In honor of Mark Wineka by Jennifer Hubbard, $50.
• In memory of Doug Black by Steve Cobb, $50.
• In memory of Lee Russell by Cindy and Kirkley, $100.
• In memory of Joe Hearne Rufty, $500.
• In honor of Allison, Jack, Jackson and Eva Margaret Egbert by Lee Ann and Jim Christy, $100.
• In memory of John and Margaret Allsion by Lee Ann and Jim Christy, $100.
In memory of Mr. and Mrs L.M. Yost, Jack and Peggy Yost, Evelyn and Dupree Stone, Buddy and Mildred Yost, Frances and Tom Wilson, Sue Frick, Anne and Gene Wilson, Edith and John Mesimore, Ronnie Yates, Sr., Jerry Parker, Thomas Honeycutt and Sonny Bolmon by The L.M. Yost Family, $136.00.
• In memory of Ruth E. Deadmon by Kyle Huffman and Jennifer Shoaf, $50.
• In memory of our grandparents Mr. and Mrs. William L. Huffman and Mr. and Mrs. Dawson Weatherman by Kyle Huffman and Jennifer Shoaf, $50.
• In loving memory of David L. Huffman by Kyle Huffman, Jennifer, Jimmy, Katie, Kenzie and Chase Shoaf, $100.
• In memory of my husband Howard Goodman, James and Margaret Wilson and Bryant and Mamie Goodman by Virginia Goodman, $300.
Running Total $34,202.15
Two corrections are needed about recent donation.
• A donation was made in memory of Jim Shuping and Betty Shuping Morgan Ross by Terri Correll.
• A donation was made in honor of Emmett and Owen Correll and Jack and James Schnepper and their parents, Chris and Kim Correll, Amanda and John Schnepper and my husband Bob given by Terri Correll.