By Shavonne Walker
SALISBURY — Members of the Hallie Hawkins Missionary Circle gave to the Christmas Happiness Fund this week in memory of Patricia Ramsey, a four-year member of St. Luke’s Baptist Church who died this year.
The church, located in Hawkinstown, has been giving to the fund for the last 11 years. Phyllis Thomside, a member of the church, said the church typically gives money in memory of a member who may have died. This year, they gave $25 in Ramsey’s memory.
And the church’s members, Thomside said, are giving in other ways as well, including giving to those in need in their community and church. They assisted a family who may not otherwise have been able to pay rent.
The Christmas Happiness Fund was created nearly 70 years ago by then Salisbury Post editor Spencer Murphy who discovered that some area children would not receive anything for Christmas. He asked the community to help and they raised more than $1,000 that first year.
Contributions may be delivered to the Salisbury Post, 131 W. Innes St., between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. weekdays or mailed to Salisbury Post Christmas Happiness Fund, P.O. Box 4639, Salisbury, NC 28145-4639.
Today’s contributions are:
• In memory of Mac Wiseman, Whitey Shafer and Raymond Fairchild and in honor of Jan Harwood, Charlotte Brisbin, Mickee Thomas and Brianna Hargrove by Hilbilly B.A.N.G.Gang, $30
• In honor of Tricia on her birthday and in memory of Wesley, Gizmo, Squirt, Fluffey, Brownie, Chloe and Tiger by Benny, Harry and John, $100
• In memory of Jeff Surratt by Corbin Hills Sunday Regulars, $300
• In memory of Jimmy Hurley and in honor of Mark Wineka by Gerry Hurley, $1,000
• The family of the late Mr. and Mrs. Dave Graham, Sr $315
• In memory of our senior cousin, Bob Hanson, who passed away 2/18/19 by Eileen and Ed Hanson-Kelly, $25
• In memory of Ruth and Cecil Bernhardt, Gilbert and Donna Bernhardt, Phil Bernhardt, Debbie Walker Bernhardt and David Deese by Vernon and Cheryl Bernhardt, $300
• In memory of Earline Ayers, $100
• In loving memory of Blanche, Quiller, Mabel, Bud, Mack, Margie, Smit, Rob, Marie, Pat and Bill, $200
• In memory of Buck Hurley, $1,000
• In memory of parents, LeRoy and Laura Neely, husband, Vernon Thomside, and son, Anthony, by Phyllis Thomside, $100
• In honor of our friends and neighbors in Milford Hills by Chuck and Liz Friedrich, $250
• In honor of Cathy Griffin and Ashlee Flippin by Denny and Carol White, $150
• In memory of “Buck” and our parents and in honor of our grandchildren: Will, Neely, Miranda, Tyler and their parents: Mike and Trisha Belks and Sara and Kent Holloway by CW Belk, $200
• In honor of Emmett and Owen Correll and Jack and James Schnepper and their parents, Chris and Kim Correll, Amanda and John Schnepper and my husband Bill by Terri Correll $100
• In honor and memory of the 4D’s, $100
• In loving memory of Jean Menius, Annie Harrison, Dot Shoaf, Doris Tysinger, Penny Lambert, Maxine Everett, Barbara Basinger, Alma Misenheimer, Nicki Holt, Grace Miller, Ida Lee Arey, Barbara R. Vanhoy and Julia Spear by Wachovia Retired Women, $50
• In memory of our parents and in honor of Alex, Gary, Julie, Kenny and Family by Ott and Julie Pinkston, $100
• J.A. and E.W. Watson, $100
• Anonymous, $100
Running Total, $31,016.15
Contact reporter Shavonne Walker at 704-797-4253.