Christmas Happiness: Long family hopes to provide joy for other children
Published 12:00 am Wednesday, December 11, 2019
SALISBURY — It’s all about seeing the kids having something on Christmas morning, says Mary Long.
Long and her husband started donating to the Christmas Happiness Fund several years ago, and they gave $100 this year in honor of their three granddaughters, Madison, Calleigh and Skylar for the Christmas Happiness.
“We’ve been donating for about 10-plus years or more,” Long said. “I hope this provides joy and happiness for a child and puts a smile on their face on Christmas morning.”
Long said she and her husband wanted to honor their grandchildren “who are able to receive gifts” and that she wanted “someone else to receive as well.”
Fred and Mary have two children — Jeff and Amanda.
Madison, 9, is the daughter of Jeff and Brandy Long; while Calleigh, 8, and Skylar, 2, are the daughters of Amanda and Matt Reavis.
“Every year on Christmas, everyone comes over our house about mid-afternoon to opens gifts,” she said. “I prepare most of the meal for our Christmas dinner and let West Rowan High School’s Future Farmers of America (FFA) do the barbecue. I always order barbecue and then do the trimmings and fixings.”
Long said her family often serves barbecue, slaw, baked beans, potato salad, and usually have vegetables and dip, and “lots of desserts” for Christmas dinner each year.
“My brother Tom comes over and my older sister Marie usually comes over every year as well,” she said.
Long said she looks forward to simply “being together with family” each holiday season.
She said “watching her children’s eyes light up on Christmas morning and for them to see what Santa had brought him” was one of her fondest memories of Christmas. And she hopes to do the same for other children through the donation.
Long said that her granddaughters are “extremely excited” for Christmas this year.
“They can’t wait. They’ve been giving little hints of what they want and have really been anticipating Christmas morning,” she said. “They love playing with their goodies that Santa brought and open their presents.”
Long said that her granddaughter Madison is outgoing and bright, that she is a cheerleader and enjoys gymnastics.
She said her granddaughter Callie is “more laid back, but is not shy.”
She said her granddaughter Skylar is playful, cheerful, friendly, and polite.
“Each one is unique in their own way,” Long said. “We’re grateful that we’re in a spot in our life to help other children.”
Proceeds raised through the Christmas Happiness fund provides Christmas gifts for local families. It was started more than 60 years ago by then-Salisbury Post Editor Spencer Murphy.
Contributions may be delivered to the Salisbury Post, 131 W. Innes St., between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. weekdays or mailed to Salisbury Post Christmas Happiness Fund, P.O. Box 4639. Salisbury, NC 28145-4639.
Today’s contributions are:
• Polly Holshouser Circle No. 7 1st U.C.C., $50
• Thank you to the Salisbury Fire Dept. for their assistance, $25
• In honor of our granddaughters Madison Long, Calleigh and Skylar Reavis, $100
• In memory of Helen Little and Blanche Mull by Charles and Phyllis Little, $100
• Boyden High School Class of 1958, $120
• In honor of Gene Ray by Owlngs 2, $25
• In loving memory of my husband, Ralph and our grandson, John Mac by Colleen Walton, $100
• In honor of ” Aunt Shully and Uncle Ned”, our dear neighbors, $75
• Paul and Lynn Weisler, $100
• In memory of Ida Mae and Whitney Kluttz by Sarah Holshouser, $100
• In memory of Melvin Morgan by Betty Morgan and Family, $100
• In memory of Mr. and Mrs. WT McDaniel, Mr. and Mrs. Paul N. Cress, Brenda C. Lucas and Billy B. Cress by Peggy C. McDaniel, $100
• In honor of Harley, Cynthia, Hunter and Landon Jones and in loving memory of my husband, Tom by Peggy C. McDaniel, $100
• In memory of Don Evers by Mary Evers, $25
• In memory of Todd Kimball, John and Catherin Kimball by Catherine Holman, $25
• L.A. Safrit Family, $100
• In memory of Leo and Geraldine Miller by Lana Miller, $100
• In honor of HoHo by Amanda, $25
• In memory of my father, JP Helms and sister, Libby Helms Hoffmire by Pam Clark, $50
• In memory of Mr. John A. and Mrs. Roannah C. Hall, $50
• In memory of all deceased members of our class and in honor of our faithful teachers: Dwight Miller, Elbert Kluttz and Steve Walton by Mildred Merrell Sunday School Class of Union Lutheran Church, $50
Today’s total: $1,520
Running total: $13,455.15