Blotter: Local man charged in theft of Office Depot laptop
SALISBURY — A local man was charged with theft and a drug offense after he was caught on video taking off with a laptop from Office Depot, according to the Salisbury Police Department.
Police charged Renard Leval Bennett, 48, whose address is listed as the streets of Salisbury, with misdemeanor larceny and misdemeanor possession of drug paraphernalia.
Police spokesman Lt. Greg Beam said an officer went to the business, at 715 E. Innes St., on Tuesday after employees said a man walked into the store, unplugged a laptop and ran out.
An employee described the man as having a white beard, wearing a green hooded sweatshirt and carrying a black backpack. An officer watched store video footage and recognized the man.
The officer went on foot patrol near the Rowan Helping Ministries shelter and found Bennett.
His backpack was searched, but no laptop was found. The officer did find a crack pipe with a piece of a Brillo pad in one end and white residue in the other.
Bennett was issued a $1,000 secured bond and placed in the Rowan County Detention Center.
In other Salisbury Police Department reports:
• A man reported Tuesday that items were stolen from his vehicle in the 400 block of West 15th Street.
• A woman reported a larceny Tuesday in the 1500 block of Old Wilkesboro Road.
• A woman reported a larceny Tuesday in the 1200 block of Grady Street.
• A woman reported Tuesday that a window on her vehicle was vandalized in the parking lot of J.F. Hurley Family YMCA.
• Alonzo Ivery Gibson, 44, was charged Tuesday with misdemeanor simple assault at the Rowan County Detention Center.
In Rowan County Sheriff’s Office reports:
• A man reported Monday that his debit card was stolen from his residence and used several times to make unauthorized purchases.
• A woman reported Monday that firearms were taken from her home in the 1600 block of Safrit Road.
• A man reported a stolen chain saw and backpack blower Monday in the 700 block of Walton Road.
• A man reported credit card fraud Monday in the 1000 block of Mill Wheel Drive.
• A woman reported a stolen license plate Monday in the 100 block of Cypress Lane.
• Lamont Allen Savage, 31, was charged Monday with misdemeanor child abuse at the Rowan County courthouse.
• Shanna Shamania Jones, 39, was charged Monday with felony financial card transaction at the Rowan County Sheriff’s Office.
SALISBURY — In a message sent to supporters this week, Power Cross Ministries says it fully supports coach Anthony Shegog,... read more