Blotter: Fire started outside Rockwell church
ROCKWELL — Someone started a fire outside Grace Lower Stone Church, causing damage near an outside corridor, according to the Rowan County Sheriff’s Office.
A deputy met Friday with Johnny Brown, a church member, who said someone else contacted him about the damage. When the deputy arrived at the church, located at 2405 Lower Stone Church Road, the fire was out.
Someone set fire to a rubber doormat and some graveside flowers that were left outside the church. Siding on the church was melted, and black soot was on the walls of the church and a front glass door. The deputy found cigarette butts in the outside corridor and a piece of a cookie.
Anyone with information about the fire is asked to contact the Rowan County Sheriff’s Office at 704-216-8700.
In other Rowan County Sheriff’s Office reports:
• Wells Fargo reported Friday that a stolen credit/debit card was used at Walmart.
• Dick’s Sporting Goods reported stolen clothing Friday at the store, 125 Tingle Drive.
• A woman reported an assault Friday in the 4000 block of Old Concord Road.
• A man reported a larceny Friday in the 300 block of Spring Garden Avenue, Kannapolis.
• A man reported an assault Friday in the 900 block of South Kimmons Street, Landis.
• A woman reported Saturday that she was involved in a disturbance with her father during a call about a theft from a vehicle in the 1100 block of Quail Haven Drive, Rockwell.
• A woman reported Saturday that a firearm was fired into occupied property in the 100 block of Clawson Avenue, Kannapolis.
• A man reported a burglary Sunday in the 100 block of Red Leaf Lane, China Grove.
• Durga Mart reported Sunday that someone forced their way into the closed business and stole items from inside the store, 3381 Old Mocksville Road.
• A man reported Sunday that someone stole items from his vehicle while parked in the 12900 block of U.S. 52, Gold Hill.
• Jacob Scott Pilkington, 25, was charged Friday with misdemeanor possession of drug paraphernalia in the 3000 block of Long Ferry Road.
• Karen Starr Shaver, 58, was charged Friday with misdemeanor simple assault in the 4000 block of Old Concord Road.
• Thomas Heath Jordan, 45, was charged Friday with misdemeanor assault on a female in the 72100 block of South Interstate 85/Peach Orchard Road.
• Daveon Lee Howard, 21, was charged Friday with misdemeanor assault on a female in the 200 block of North Main Street.
• Cornelius Lamar Butler, 22, was charged Friday with felony tampering with an electronic monitoring device at the Rowan County Sheriff’s Office.
• Lonnie Benjamin Moore, 70, was charged Saturday with misdemeanor misuse of the 911 emergency system in the 3600 block of Pine Tree Place.
• Erick Jose Santos, 22, was charged Sunday with misdemeanor simple assault on a female at the Rowan County Magistrate’s Office.
• Superior Iquam Jaquest Smith, 26, was charged Sunday with felony obtaining property by false pretense at the Rowan County Magistrate’s Office.
• Randy Wayne Boyd, 60, was charged Sunday with felony possession of stolen goods in the 200 block of Edmiston Road, Mount Ulla.
Contact reporter Shavonne Walker at 704-797-4253.
AAA Carolinas CHARLOTTE — AAA Carolinas predicts that a record 2.9 million Carolinians will travel 50 miles or more from... read more