Blotter: Police charged homeless man with meth possession
By Shavonne Walker
SALISBURY — A Salisbury man was charged with possession of methamphetamine after a tip led officers to check possible drug activity behind a Salisbury motel.
Justin Eugene Bell, 28, whose address is listed as the streets of Salisbury, was charged with felony possession of a controlled substance Schedule II and misdemeanor possession of drug paraphernalia.
An anonymous caller reported someone behind the Happy Traveler Inn, located at 1420 E. Innes St., with a large bag who was possibly selling drugs, said police spokesman Lt. Greg Beam.
An officer found a man matching the description that was given by the caller, who was identified as Justin Bell. He told the officer he was homeless.
According to a report, Bell seemed nervous. He gave the officer consent to search him, and the officer found a digital scale in his back pocket with a white residue on it. When Bell stood up, the officer found a plastic bag with a white substance on the ground.
The substance was tested and determined to be meth. Beam said Bell had 16 grams of the drug.
In other Salisbury Police Department reports:
• A man reported an assault Friday in the 1600 block of Standish Street.
• A woman reported a stolen bicycle Friday in the 700 block of North Craige Street.
• A woman reported an assault Saturday in the 200 block of North Clay Street.
• A man reported Saturday his home was vandalized in the 900 block of Celebration Drive.
• A woman reported an attempted break-in Sunday in the 300 block of Foster Lane.
• A woman reported a burglary Sunday in the 500 block of South Clay Street.
In Rowan County Sheriff’s Office reports:
• Lion Share Credit Union reported fraud Thursday.
• A woman reported an assault Thursday in the 2000 block of Hobson Road, Cleveland.
• A man was reported a knife assault Thursday in the 4100 block of Strider Circle, Kannapolis.
• Jennifer Louise Porter, 52, was charged Thursday with misdemeanor possession of stolen goods in the 600 block of North U.S. 29, China Grove.
• Ian Tireon Tyler, 23, was charged Thursday with misdemeanor assault on a female at the Rowan County Magistrate’s Office.
• Isaiah Devine Phifer, 19, was charged Thursday with misdemeanor simple possession of a Schedule VI controlled substance at the Rowan County courthouse.
Contact reporter Shavonne Walker at 704-797-4253.
KANNAPOLIS — Deputy Police Chief Terry Clanton is retiring after working for the Kannapolis Police Department for 36 years. He... read more