Blotter: Wanted man found hiding in attic
Published 7:19 pm Thursday, October 17, 2019
SALISBURY — A man found hiding in the attic of a home on South Main Street was arrested on outstanding warrants.
On Tuesday morning, a Rowan County Sheriff’s Office deputy spotted a man with red dreadlocks and carrying a pink backpack walking in the area of U.S. 29/South Main Street and Webb Road. The deputy recognized the man as John Preston Harrity and knew he had outstanding warrants for his arrest.
The deputy turned his patrol car around but could not locate Harrity. A bystander told the deputy that he saw Harrity run into a home in the 5600 block of South Main Street and that he lived there with relatives.
Another deputy and two probation officers helped search the home. The owners told the officers that they thought Harrity jumped out of a window, but the officers heard something stirring in the attic. When they looked there, they found Harrity lying on some insulation.
Authorities said Harrity complained of being short of breath and that he had swallowed a balloon full of heroin. Rowan Emergency Medical Services was called, and he was taken to the hospital, where a doctor gave Harrity medication.
Authorities plan to test the balloon. Harrity remains in the hospital guarded by a deputy.
Once released from the hospital, Harrity will be charged with misdemeanor resisting or obstructing an officer and failure to appear in court. Other charges are possible, authorities said.
In other Rowan County Sheriff’s Office reports:
• A man reported identity theft Tuesday in the 100 block of Wal Hollow Lane, Mooresville.
• A woman reported a scam Tuesday in the 100 block of Sloop Street, China Grove.
• A man reported Tuesday that someone stole items from his vehicle in the 1000 block of Peeler Road.
• Aliyah Shanece Pruitt, 21, was charged Tuesday with possession of a controlled substance on jail premises.
• Odiseo Am Escobedo-Bravo, 37, was charged Tuesday with misdemeanor possession of marijuana at West N.C. 152 and Corinth Church Road, China Grove.