Traffic stop leads to meth possession charges for local man
SALISBURY — A Salisbury man remains in the Rowan County jail after a traffic stop for not using his headlights led to a felony drug charge.
Police officers said the found methamphetamine in his vehicle.
The Salisbury Police Department charged Dillon Leon Thomas, 22, who address is listed as the streets of Salisbury, on Tuesday with felony possession of a counterfeit instrument; felony possession of a controlled substance Schedule II; misdemeanor possession of drug paraphernalia; misdemeanor having a fictitious registration or tag; and misdemeanor operating a vehicle without insurance.
An officer stopped the 1997 Dodge Ram that Thomas was driving just before 2 a.m. Tuesday in the 1000 block of East Innes Street. Thomas didn’t have the vehicle’s headlights on, according to a department report.
The officer checked the vehicle’s license plate and determined the tag did not belong on the pickup. Police brought in a K-9 unit, and the dog alerted officers to the presence of narcotics. The officer searched the vehicle and found meth in a plastic bag that was in a cigarette case, as well as a glass smoking pipe, the report said.
Officials said Thomas had a counterfeit $100 in his wallet.
Thomas remains in the Rowan County Detention Center under a $3,000 secured bond.
In other Salisbury police reports:
• First Bank reported Monday that someone used an account without authorization in the 700 block of Mack Street.
• A woman reported Monday that her back door area was vandalized in the 400 block of West Horah Street.
• Police investigated a theft from a vehicle parked in the 500 block of White Oaks Drive on Tuesday.
• A woman reported Tuesday that she was the victim of fraud via email between Sept. 12 and Sept. 13 in the 200 block of Pearl Street.
In Rowan County Sheriff’s Office reports:
• A man reported an assault Monday in the 1100 block of Tarheel Trail.
• A man reported a break-in Monday in the 900 block of Goodnight Road.
• A man reported a stolen trailer Monday in the 400 block of McCarns Street, Mooresville.
• A man reported a stolen vehicle Monday in the 6700 block of Goodman Lake Road.
• Matthew Kelly Martin, 30, was charged Monday with felony possession of controlled substance Schedule II in the 400 block of Gin Road, Rockwell.
In observance of Suicide Prevention Month, the Salisbury VA Health Care System is promoting awareness of its #BeThere campaign by encouraging community leaders,... read more