Blotter: Hanford Dole Elementary student assaults teacher, disrupts class
SALISBURY — An 8-year-old student at Hanford Dole Elementary School assaulted a teacher, cursed her and a school resource officer, and threw desks and chairs around the classroom, authorities said Thursday.
The Rowan County Sheriff’s Office filed a juvenile petition and contacted the student’s mother.
When the resource officer arrived in the classroom, she saw the teacher holding onto the student’s arm and trying to keep him from hitting her again. The teacher said he refused to follow instructions about returning an iPad and cursed her. According to a report, the student called the officer a pig and cursed at her. The teacher released the student, and he began throwing desks, chairs and other items about the room.
The student stood on a table and tried to rip down a television mounted on a wall. He then began yelling and shouting, got underneath the teacher’s desk and started throwing more items. According to a report, school administrators contacted the student’s mother and asked her to pick him up but she said she had no ride to the school but would try to get there.
An hour later, she had not shown up at the school, located at 465 Choate Road. Administrators contacted Rowan County Juvenile Services.
A juvenile petition is a criminal complaint similar to that in an adult case.
In other Rowan County Sheriff’s Office reports:
• Genesis Baptist Church of Kannapolis reported Tuesday that someone stole checks from the church, 9710 Old Concord Road, China Grove.
• Christ United Methodist Church reported Tuesday that checks were stolen from the church, 3401 Mooresville Road.
• Coleman Music reported Tuesday that someone tried to fraudulently obtain cash from the business, 1021 S. Main St., China Grove.
• Kevin Dion Love, 25, was charged after a traffic stop with misdemeanor possession of marijuana on northbound Interstate 85 at the North Webb Road off-ramp, China Grove.
In Salisbury Police Department reports:
• A man reported a larceny Wednesday in the 400 block East Lafayette Street.
• Officers seized drugs during a traffic stop Thursday in the 800 block of Faith and Stratford roads.
• Christopher Maurice Walker, 26, was charged Wednesday with misdemeanor child abuse in the 600 block of South Ellis Street.
• Jennifer Layne Saylor, 40, was charged Thursday with felony possession of a controlled substance Schedule II in the 800 block of Faith and Stratford roads.
Contact reporter Shavonne Walker at 704-797-4253.