• 73°

Rowan weather: Weekend could be stormy

Today will be mostly cloudy and a bit cooler, with a high of 83. Patchy fog is possible before 10 a.m. We have a 60 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms, mainly after 3 p.m. A tenth to quarter inch of rain is possible. It is a Code Yellow air quality day for particle pollution.

Tonight also has a 60 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms before 3 a.m., then a chance of showers. Patchy fog will form after 1 a.m. It will be mostly cloudy and 68, with east wind around 5 mph calming after midnight. Another tenth to quarter inch of rain is possible.

Some of the thunderstorms today and Saturday could become severe, with small hail and damaging winds. Heavy rain with localized flooding is also possible.

Saturday starts with a 50 percent chance of showers, then thunderstorms possible after 9 a.m. Patchy fog will hang around until 10 a.m. It will be mostly cloudy and 83, with east wind around 5 mph in the afternoon. Again, a tenth to quarter inch of rain is expected, with higher amounts in thunderstorms.

Saturday night has just a 30 percent chance of showers and storms. It will be mostly cloudy and 68, with calm wind. Less than a tenth of an inch of rain is expected.

Sunday will be partly sunny and 86, with a 50 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Winds will be light and variable. Sunday night’s chance of showers and storms will be 40 percent. The low will be 68, with mostly cloudy skies.

Monday will have a 60 percent chance of showers, then thunderstorms after 10 a.m. It will be mostly cloudy and 84. The chance of rain goes down to 40 percent Monday night, with showers and storms before 9 p.m., then showers through 3 a.m. It will be mostly cloudy and 66.

Tuesday will be partly sunny and 87, with a 30 percent chance of showers before noon, then showers and storms. Tuesday night will be partly cloudy and 68.

Wednesday, we get a break, with mostly sunny skies and a high of 89. The low will be 68.

Thursday brings a 30 percent chance of showers and storms, but it will be party sunny and 87.

Comments

Nation/World

$1 trillion infrastructure plan clears Senate hurdle

College

College-bound North Carolina football player shot to death

Legion baseball

American Legion baseball: Rowan bounces back behind Schenck, reaches semifinals today

Education

Johnson C. Smith, Pfeiffer universities among latest to pay off student debts

Kannapolis

American Legion baseball: Kannapolis ends season

Business

Evictions looming as Congress refuses to extend ban that expires today

Coronavirus

Panthers linebacker Perryman will wear mask, won’t get vaccinated

Crime

Kannapolis man gets 180 months in prison after $100,000 worth of narcotics found in his apartment

Crime

New court date set for county commissioner’s driving while impaired case

Crime

Man arrested for pair of Salisbury convenience store robberies

Coronavirus

Governor changes course on masks amid worsening trends from delta variant

Coronavirus

Vaccination rules for federal workers toughened

Local

Mayor Alexander joins coalition of NC mayors urging passage of bipartisan infrastructure package

Local

New forklift’s arrival ‘a joyous moment’ for Rowan Helping Ministries

Local

Quotes of the week

East Spencer

Spencer, East Spencer hosting joint National Night Out

Business

Backcountry and Beyond prepares for move to downtown Salisbury

Education

Kannapolis City Schools will ‘strongly recommend,’ not require masks

Business

Ahold Delhaize hopes to add 100 new employees at Salisbury distribution center

Local

Cooler weather on the horizon for Rowan after heat wave

Crime

Blotter: July 29

Local

Downtown residents, business owners say noisy construction is A-OK, sign of progress to come

Business

County unemployment rises in June, positive job growth seen in leisure and hospitality sector

Local

NC poet laureate will speak during historical marker celebration, talks about life, race