New farming exhibit at China Grove Roller Mill open for Farmers Day
Published 12:00 am Sunday, July 14, 2019
Submitted by Judy Haire
The historical China Grove Roller Mill will be open on Farmers Day, July 20, from 10 a.m. until 4 p.m. and will feature a new exhibit, “Farming in Yesteryears.” Artifacts and pictures will be on display depicting farm life more than 100 years ago.
The new exhibition will remind those who grew up on a farm of the life, hardships and joys of farm living and teach youngsters the life of a farm family a generation ago.
The display will include planting and food harvesting, preparing and preservation of food, quilting, sewing, spinning yarn, children’s activities, and even the occasional “farmers still”. All three stories of the mill will be open for visitors to enjoy.
The China Grove Roller Mill was organized in 1883 as a combination grist mill and sawmill. In 1903 the three-story brick building that now stands proudly on North Main Street was constructed.
The Roller Mill contains heavy duty machinery that was used to grind grain. Wheat was weighed, cleaned, ground, smashed, and sifted and became flour. Corn was ground and processed into cornmeal. The equipment in the building is the original mill equipment and was in full operation when the mill closed in 1995.
The Roller Mill was placed on the National Register of Historical Places by the United States Department of the Interior on December 29, 1983.
Tours of the mill are offered by appointments for interested individuals and groups.
The mill contains an all-purpose room suitable for many small events including parties, reunions, dinners, and meetings. Please call the Rowan Museum for more information, 704-633-5946.