Summer off to a great start for West Rowan FFA
Published 12:00 am Thursday, July 11, 2019
Eleven teams from West Rowan High School’s FFA Chapter competed in the 91st FFA State Convention in June, claiming titles in a variety of categories.
The competition was held June 18-20 in Raleigh and included a career fair and career and leadership development program as well as FFA general sessions.
Advisers Jason Chester, Tori Cardea, Matthew Owen and Alex Silliman led the competitors. Teams and their winnings are as follows:
• Agricultural tools and materials identification team, second place. Members are Peyton Summerall, Ben Starnes, Macon Kluttz and Rosty Menius.
Matthew Owen is the leader.
Ben Starnes tied for the highest individual score in the state with a perfect score.
• Meats evaluation and technology team, second place. Members are Rebekah Russell, Rachel Williams and Taylor Walton. The leader is Silliman.
Taylor Walton placed third individually in the state.
• Food science and technology team, fourth place. Members are Grace Walters, Sierra Simmerson, Miranda Miller and Diana Taylor. The leader is Silliman.
• Agricultural communications team, third place. Members are Jack Wilhelm, Mayerlin Alpizar, Ryley Corriher and Sierra Lambert. The leader is Cardea.
• Milk quality and production team, fourth place. Members are Rachel Williams, Reagan Haggas, Morgan Humble and Cindy Connolly. The leader is Cardea.
• Agricultural issues team, first place. Members are Lauren Hayes, Rebekah Russell, Taylor Walton, Chloe Patterson, Ben Suggs and MacKenna Clifton. The leader is Chester.
• Agricultural mechanics team, third place. Members are Josh Corriher, Ethan Gray, Dakota Kinley and Alex Keadle. The leader is Owen.
Alex Keadle was the highest individual scorer in the state.
• Agronomy team, third place. Members are Tinsleigh Myers, Andy Zheng, Kemuel Mauney, and Gavin Staton. The leader is Chester.
The agricultural issues team will be competing at the 92nd National FFA Convention.
Individual awards include:
• Rebekah Russell, placing second for job interview under the leadership of Cardea.
• MacKenna Clifton, placing second for extemporaneous speaking under the leadership of Chester.
• Mayerlin Alpizar, placing first in the prepared public speaking competition under the leadership of Chester. She will compete at the National FFA Convention.
Alongside these career and leadership development awards, the West Rowan FFA Chapter won the National Chapter Award and had multiple state proficiency awards. These include:
• Ben Suggs: agricultural sales, placement.
• Nathan Sparks: agricultural services.
• Sydney Swing: agriscience research animal systems.
• Colby Menius: dairy production, entrepreneurship; grain production, entrepreneurship.
• Taquavian Lark: dairy production, placement.
• Jesse Baker: forage production.
• Cynthia Connolly: goat production.
• Dakota Kinley: grain production, placement.
• Abigail Wilson: sheep production.
• Lauren Hayes: special animal production.
• Dalton Kepley: turfgrass management.
• Ethan Gray: agricultural mechanics, design and fabrication.
All brought home the gold with their respective proficiency areas.
After a successful week at the convention, the West Rowan FFA Chapter spent a week unwinding at the North Carolina FFA Camp in White Lake. From June 24 to June 28, chapter members had the opportunity to learn leadership skills and grow closer as a team.
The trip was made possible through West Rowan FFA alumni, advisers and parents.