School board to consider collateral for county loan
SALISBURY — After months of discussion, the Rowan-Salisbury Board of Education on Monday could approve the next steps in addressing an estimated $8.02 million in heating and air conditioning needs across the system.
The growing list of needs, which includes upgrades, renovations or system replacements at 20 of the district’s 34 schools, was presented to the board in February after the county agreed to pursue $6.5 million in debt service for the work in November.
On Monday, the board will consider offering Erwin Middle School as collateral for a $7.1 million loan pursued by the county. Rowan-Cabarrus Community College will receive $600,000 from the loan, and the school system will get $6.5 million.
In a presentation in late February, the assistant superintendent for operations identified needs at China Grove Middle, South Rowan High, Erwin Middle, Enochville Elementary, Corriher-Lipe Middle, Granite Quarry Elementary, East Rowan High, Landis Elementary and Faith Elementary schools.
The projects ranged from $560,000 for interior units and associated work at Enochville to $225,000 for replacement units and associated work at Faith Elementary.
At Knox Middle, three chiller replacements, rooftop replacements and associated work would total $1.45 million.
In other business on Monday’s agenda:
• The board will consider selling surplus property on Clay Street. The system received a bid of $6,300 on the property from WV LLC of Concord. No additional bids were received.
• The board will consider changing meeting dates and times for the summer.
The June business meeting could change from June 27 to June 24. The board will also consider holding only one July meeting at 1 p.m. July 15.
• The board will be updated on revisions to student fees. The nursing fee for uniforms increased to $52, and a PE lock fee of $5 was added. All other fees will remain steady.
• The board will hear budget updates from Chief Financial Officer Carol Herndon.
• The board will hear an update on a property at East Rowan.
ROCKWELL — Members of the Rockwell AMVETS Post 845 Ladies Auxiliary brought 92 worn American flags to a Salute to... read more