• 73°

Firefighter injured, store deemed total loss in four-alarm blaze

KANNAPOLIS — One firefighter is injured and a former appliance repair store at 915 S. Main St. is a total loss after a Thursday morning fire.

At 9 a.m. Thursday, the Kannapolis Fire Department received a call about a fire on South Main Street in Kannapolis. Firefighters arrived to find the one-story building in flames.

While fighting the blaze, firefighter Steven Tilley was injured by debris from a ceiling. He was taken to the hospital, where he was scheduled spend the night for observational purposes.

By mid-afternoon, firefighters were still working to extinguish hotspots. Neighboring clothing store Angie’s Fashion, Accessories and More, was significantly damaged before the fire was contained, and a portion of the ceiling collapsed.

Angie’s, a women’s clothing store carrying sizes from small to 5x, held its grand opening on Saturday, April 6.

The Main Street Business Center, adjoining Angie’s, was damaged by smoke.

Crews from Cabarrus and Rowan counties and Concord assisted Kannapolis Fire in handling the four-alarm fire. Rowan responders included Rowan Rescue, Locke Township Fire Department, Landis and the Salisbury fire departments.

The fire closed portions of Main Street between Bethpage and Rogers Lake roads until 3 p.m.

Norma Delgado, whose husband owned the Deltor Inc. Automotive Sales lot across the street from the fire, said she’d seen smoke on her way in from China Grove to open the business.

“I thought, ‘Wow, it’s kind of early for someone to be burning wood,'” she said. “Then when we got closer, I saw it was more impacted, strong and dark and flaming. When we parked, the building was going up in a blaze.”

Delgado remembered the burned business as an active thrift shop, selling furniture and clothing items — something akin to a “small department store,” she said. Like Angie’s recent opening, she said the other operations in the strip were less than a year in existence — eight months for the Main Street Business Center and less for the others.

“They were just trying to survive and make a living,” she said. “I feel bad for them.”

The Deltor Inc. used-car lot was minimally damaged by the heat of the fire, with some warping occurring in the building’s vinyl siding.

It was a first for the word-of-mouth business’ 16 years of operations, she said, adding that she was thankful the fire was contained before it spread across the street.

“We have gas in these cars, can you even imagine?” she said. “It’s unfortunate that we’re another couple of businesses down, but at least nobody got hurt more than they did.”

Comments

Local

Pedestrian hospitalized after being struck by police car

Local

Torch Run returns to Rowan streets, raises money for Special Olympics

Crime

Fish arcade company drops suit against Rowan County Sheriff’s Office

Crime

Man faces kidnapping, assault charges after woman escapes at Webb Road Flea Market

Local

Natoli promoted to assistant county manager, will retain human resources director title

Education

Attendance restriction lifted for RSS graduation ceremonies

Business

Rowan Chamber of Commerce will host in-person Power in Partnership on Thursday

Business

Rowan EDC will undergo name change, alter board requirements with updates to bylaws

Nation/World

Israel strikes Gaza tunnels as truce efforts remain elusive

Nation/World

Supreme Court to take up major abortion rights challenge

Nation/World

Biden boosting world vaccine sharing commitment to 80M doses

Crime

Man charged for stowing away on Norfolk Southern train, impeding railroad operations

Local

Group will protest treatment of Georgia woman during 2019 traffic stop

Crime

Man overdoses at Piedmont Correctional Institute

Crime

Sheriff’s Office: Two men escape from jail, found in bushes on Fulton Street

Ask Us

Ask Us: When will North Martin Luther King Jr. Avenue be resurfaced?

Local

Political Notebook: Rowan’s lawmakers pass 140 bills into the opposite chamber before deadline

Local

Police chief to present use of force policy; city manager to present 2021-22 budget

Crime

Blotter: Rockwell man arrested on charges of felony larceny, possession of stolen vehicle

Coronavirus

CDC director says mask turnaround based solely on science

News

Catawba College hosts three in-person commencement ceremonies

Local

With high case loads causing numerous staff departures, Child Protective Services seeks more positions

Education

Livingstone College graduates celebrate ‘crossing the finish line’ during commencement celebration

Coronavirus

Rowan sees 4 new COVID-19 deaths as mask mandate lifted, vaccines administered continue decline