China Grove chase ends with crash, suspect hospitalized

Published 2:49 pm Tuesday, April 30, 2019

By Shavonne Walker

CHINA GROVE — A vehicle chase that crisscrossed China Grove came to an end when the driver crashed and injured himself. The man was temporarily trapped in the vehicle.

Dustin Sullivan was driving a Honda on Deal Road about 11:40 p.m. Saturday, according to the Rowan County Sheriff’s Office.

Sullivan was taken to a Concord hospital and will be charged upon his release with speeding and fleeing to elude arrest. He was issued citations for failure to maintain lane control, crossing the center line, driving without head lamps, failure to wear a seat belt, careless and reckless driving, running a red light and three counts of running a stop sign.

A deputy was behind Sullivan’s vehicle and noted that he was driving erratically. He had crossed the center line several times.

The deputy followed the car onto N.C. 152 headed into China Grove. The car veered off N.C. 153 toward Landis, and the driver seemed to have a problem staying in his lane, the deputy said. The car sped up and then slowed down, according to the deputy’s report.

The driver turned onto Coach Deal Road and the deputy made a U-turn in a nearby Food Lion parking lot. The officer tried to catch up with the Honda when the driver sped away. The driver traveled onto North Chapel Street, then ran a stop sign at North Chapel and Bostian streets and another stop sign at Walnut Street and Third Avenue.

The deputy turned on his emergency lights, and the driver sped up to 60 mph in a 35-mph zone. The driver ran a stop sign at Walnut and Thom streets. He then turned his lights off, took a sharp curve on U.S. 29 and turned the lights back on.

The deputy noted the driver sped up to 80 mph in a 45-mph zone. The officer caught up with the vehicle and saw it run off the road and strike a utility pole in the front yard of 1270 Pine Ridge Road.

The deputy searched the vehicle but didn’t see anyone in the driver’s seat. He then heard the driver yell out for help. Sullivan was unable to move and was found face down in the back seat. He was trapped and had to be helped out. T

he owner of the property used a pry bar to open the door to free him.

Sullivan was taken by Rowan EMS to Atrium Health NorthEast, where he underwent surgery. His condition is not life-threatening.

Contact reporter Shavonne Walker at 704-797-4253.