Week in review: Test your nose for local news
1. The 700,000-square-foot Chewy distribution center will be built on property that two Salisbury couples bought more than 30 years ago as an investment. Who were the couples, whose families finally saw their investment pay off?
A. Millers and Koontzes
B. Treveys and Eptings
C. Carltons and Overcashes
D. Grahams and Holshousers
2. Pilot Guy Maher was killed when an Express 2000 plane he was flying Monday crashed off Cool Springs Road north of Woodleaf. Maher had taken off that morning from Statesville Regional Airport headed where?
A. Mid-Carolina Regional Airport in Salisbury
B. Stanly County Airport in Albemarle
C. Davidson County Airport in Lexington
D. Twin Lakes Airport in Davie County
3. Why has the Salisbury-Rowan NAACP started an investigation and threatened a lawsuit in connection with the Spencer Board of Aldermen?
A. The NAACP says there should be more black firefighters and police officers in Spencer.
B. The NAACP is concerned about the contents of a leaked, recorded telephone conversation between Town Manager Terence Arrington and board member Sylvia Chillcott.
C. The NAACP says the town’s zoning ordinance discriminates against some residential areas of town.
D. The NAACP charges the town board has acted secretly to permit the closing of North Rowan High School.
4. Rowan County native Leah Wyrick, a freshman at Wake Forest University, is hoping to patent the design of a bra for women recovering from breast surgery. What’s the name of the company she created to develop her Resilience Bra?
A. Three Strands Recovery Wear
B. Comfort Push Clothing
C. Comeback Fashion
D. Wireless Communication
5. A gala in honor of former Food Lion Chief Executive Officer Tom Smith was held April 11. Smith was named 2019 Champion for what nonprofit organization?
A. Charlotte Food Bank
B. Easterseals of North Carolina and Virginia
C. Metrolina Habitat for Humanity
D. Greater Carolinas Multiple Sclerosis Society
6. Across the state, more and more school districts are opting to cancel classes on May 1 because of the teachers’ Rally for Respect in Raleigh. Which is true of the way the Rowan-Salisbury Schools district is handling possible teacher absences on rally day?
A. The school district will cancel classes with an optional teacher workday.
B. Teachers are not allowed to attend the rally, and classes will proceed as scheduled.
C. A teacher can attend the rally if a request for a personal leave day is made at least five days in advance and a substitute is available.
D. No decision has been made.
7. Bradley Hill, a home-schooled high school senior, has lived with spina bifida since birth, but he’ll be attending the East Rowan High School prom Saturday thanks to an invitation from whom?
A. Cousin Mattison McDonald
B. Mom Sandy Holshouser
C. Grandmother Brenda Hill
D. Grandmother Barbara Lambert
8. The N.C. Department of Transportation and Norfolk Southern Railway have reached an agreement that will lead to major construction at the Kannapolis train station, beginning in December, and Salisbury Station, beginning in June 2020. What will be built at each depot?
A. New waiting room for Amtrak passengers
B. Parking deck
C. Second platform, allowing passenger trains to go in and out without having to wait for freight trains
D. A tunnel, allowing future high-speed passenger trains between Charlotte and Raleigh to pass through without stopping for freight trains
9. A 52-year-old bridge over Interstate 85 in Rowan County was closed permanently Friday. It was the bridge for what road?
A. Long Ferry Road
B. Mount Moriah Church Road
C. Moose Road
D. Old Beatty Ford Road
10. The “Ministers (& Judges) of Comedy” show was held Thursday evening at the Salisbury Civic Center. It raised money for what?
A. Renovations of J.C. Price High School
B. Restoration for R.A. Clement School in Cleveland
C. Continued development of the Dixonville-Lincoln Memorial
D. Improvements at Oakwood Cemetery
Answers to news quiz:
‘I’ve been on Cloud Nine’: N.C. Veterans Hall of Fame welcomes new class, many with Rowan connections
By Mark Wineka email@example.com CONCORD — In Vietnam, Coy Thompson received the Silver Star after the Huey helicopter he was... read more