Week in review: Test your nose for local news
1. The West Rowan Volunteer Fire Department had a packed house Wednesday of people who wanted to hear more about a proposal to bring what kind of business to the Mount Ulla community?
A. A dirt track for motorcycle and quarter-midget racing
B. Family Dollar
C. Dollar General
D. A farm and retail store to grow and sell cannabis
2. Many tributes have been said for Salisbury community activist Latasha Wilks since her unexpected death April 5 at the age of 45. Which of the following did Wilks not do among her many activities in recent years?
A. Was a candidate for Salisbury City Council and Rowan County Board of Commissioners
B. Founded Let’s Lend a Helping Hand Inc.
C. Was a charter member of Women for Community Justice
D. Was former executive director of Downtown Salisbury Inc.
3. The Salisbury Planning Board last week recommended a rezoning to allow a “modular unit village” called Grace Village that would provide homes for start-up businesses. Where would Grace Village be?
A. On Julian Road, near West Ritchie Road
B. North Long and East 11th streets
C. Jake Alexander Boulevard and Harrison Road
D. Old Wilkesboro Road and Industrial Avenue
4. Morgan Wright, Brian Rankin, Bruce Parham and Timothy Witcher have combined forces to open a photography studio, recording booth and studio, and meeting rooms designed to help musicians take the next step in their careers. What do they call this venture, located at 124 1/2 W. Innes St.?
A. Salisbury Moon Productions
B. Which Way/This Way Co.
C. Full Force Production Co.
5. Patrick Weddington has discovered he is offering a popular service out of the basement of his home in Salisbury. What is it?
A. Custom embroidery
B. An all-weather batting cage
C. Navigational help for people trying to get the best deals for internet, telephone and television
D. Shoe repair
6. Which Rowan County high school won the county golf title Thursday in a championship held at Corbin Hills Golf Club?
A. East Rowan
C. West Rowan
7. The city of Salisbury has hired Hannah Berg Jacobson as its new what?
A. Director of Salisbury-Rowan Utilities
B. Planning director
C. Parks and recreation director
D. Finance director
8. Because of this year’s revaluation, if tax rates stay the same, Rowan County Tax Assessor Kelvin Byrd said taxpayers probably will see their property tax bills increase by an average of what percent?
9. Millbridge Elementary School and the Corriher Grange Hall have been among the latest places where barn quilts were added to the exterior of the buildings. Adele Goodman and Elsie Bennett have been trying to inventory all the barn quilts in Rowan County (in every size) and believe the number is what?
10. Kristy Harvey Woodson, a Salisbury High School graduate and noted Southern author, was the guest speaker Thursday evening at the annual meeting of Historic Salisbury Foundation. Harvey and her husband, Will, have restored an older home and live in what N.C. coastal town?
C. Elizabeth City
Answers to news quiz:
By Mark Wineka email@example.com SALISBURY — Supporters of Rowan Helping Ministries symbolically passed the collection plate Saturday night as more... read more