Blotter: Cleveland man faces additional charge in convenience store robberies
By Shavonne Walker
SALISBURY — A Cleveland man who was charged a week ago for his involvement in three convenience store robberies faces an additional robbery charge, the Salisbury Police Department said Friday.
Police charged Joseph Kent Waddell, 22, of the 2400 block of Woodleaf Barber Road, with felony robbery with a dangerous weapon. Police officials said he turned himself in on charges in the robbery of the Ruscho store at 929 S. Jake Alexander Blvd.
Investigators said Waddell, who has since been released under a secured $25,000 bond, drove Spencer Van Botteon to Pop’s Country Store on U.S. 601. Waddell was previously charged with robbery with a dangerous weapon in the Pop’s case.
Investigators from the Rowan County Sheriff’s Office, China Grove Police Department and Salisbury Police Department said Botteon attempted to rob the Kangaroo Express store in China Grove. Less than an hour later, he robbed Rushco and, later that afternoon, he robbed Pop’s Country Store, police said.
In other Salisbury Police Department reports:
• A man reported an assault Thursday in the 1200 block of West Monroe Street.
• David Bryan Laws, 45, was charged Thursday with felony forgery of bank notes in the 100 block of East Liberty Street.
In Rowan County Sheriff’s Office reports:
• A woman reported Wednesday that her vehicle was stolen from her driveway between 11 p.m. and 6 a.m. Wednesday in the 1000 block of Lands End Lane, Rockwell.
• A woman reported a larceny Wednesday in the 7100 block of East N.C. 152, Rockwell.
• A woman reported Wednesday that someone tried to force his way into her property in the 400 block of Stone Road.
• A man reported Wednesday that items were stolen from his vehicle in the 7400 block of East N.C. 152, Rockwell.
• A man reported Wednesday that someone forced his way into property in the 2200 block of River Road, Richfield.
• A woman reported an attempted break-in Wednesday in the 800 block of Woodland Creek Drive.
• A woman reported Wednesday that her boyfriend assaulted her in the 300 block of Fox Run Road.
• Kadarrius Daquan Pressley, 24, was charged Wednesday with misdemeanor possession of a controlled substance Schedule VI in the 2400 block of Statesville Boulevard and Majolica Road.
• Josiah Okeayme Dixon, 18, was charged on Wednesday with misdemeanor possession of a controlled substance Schedule VI while in the 800 block of Woodland Creek Drive.
• David Michael Johnson, 38, was charged Wednesday with misdemeanor assault on a female in the 300 block of Fox Run Road.
Contact reporter Shavonne Walker at 704-797-4253.
By Matt Zapotosky and Rosalind S. Helderman The Washington Post WASHINGTON — He pulled back the curtain on a sophisticated... read more