Blotter: Man loses lottery drawing, lashes out at clerk
Published 4:34 pm Thursday, March 14, 2019
SALISBURY — A Salisbury man on Wednesday was charged with assault, vandalism and larceny after his lottery ticket wasn’t a winner.
He punched a clerk who tried to stop him from stealing a beer, according to the Salisbury Police Department.
Police charged Ian Austin Wilson, 29, of the 200 block of North Long Street, with the misdemeanor offenses.
Investigators said Wilson went into Friendly Food Mart, 727 S. Martin Luther King Jr. Ave., about 1 p.m. Wednesday. He became angry after learning that he didn’t win the lottery.
Wilson argued with the clerk and then said he was going to take a beer. He grabbed a 40-ounce King Cobra from the cooler. When the clerk tried to stop him, Wilson punched the clerk.
The two got into a fistfight, and Wilson dropped the beer. The clerk managed to get Wilson outside and locked him out. Police said Wilson kicked and punched a glass door in an effort to get back inside.
The clerk called police, and Wilson was still at the store when officers arrived.
Wilson remains in the Rowan County Detention Center under a $5,000 secured bond.
In other Salisbury Police Department reports:
• A man reported an attempted breaking-and-entering Wednesday in the 600 block of Williams Road.
• A needle was found on a suspect being checked by a probation officer Wednesday in the 300 block of North Main Street.
• A woman reported fraud Wednesday in the 2400 block of Statesville Boulevard.
• Tommie Raynard Ferrens, 29, was charged Tuesday with felony possession of a controlled substance Schedule II in the 700 block of North Lee and East Henderson streets.
• David Matthew Jenkins, 31, was charged Wednesday with misdemeanor forgery and uttering in the 2100 block of South Jake Alexander Boulevard.
• Gustavo Chavez Vasquez, 32, was charged Wednesday with misdemeanor assault on a female by a male over 18 in the 2100 block of Stokes Ferry Road.
In Rowan County Sheriff’s Office reports:
• A man reported a stolen moped Tuesday at Old Union Church and Wildwood roads.
• A woman reported vandalism Tuesday in the 200 block of Nathaniel Lane in Kannapolis.
• Yadkin United Methodist Church reported Tuesday that someone forced their way into the church, 203 N. Finishing Lane in Spencer.
• Deputies found marijuana when attempting to serve a warrant in the 100 block of Pinnacle Drive.
• A man reported a burglary Tuesday in the 500 block of Morgan Road, Gold Hill.
• A woman reported an assault Tuesday in the 100 block of Denise Road, China Grove.
• Justin Ray Merritt, 28, was charged Tuesday with misdemeanor possession of a controlled substance Schedule VI in the 100 block of Pinnacle Drive.
• Joshua Tyler Claytor, 23, was charged Tuesday with misdemeanor assault on a female in the 200 block of Linker Road in Rockwell.
• Jeremy Alan Jenkins, 37, was charged Tuesday with misdemeanor assault on a female in the 100 block of Susan Lane.
• Jonathan Christian Ellis, 28, was charged Tuesday with misdemeanor possession of a controlled substance Schedule VI in the 2000 block of U.S. 29 in China Grove.
Contact reporter Shavonne Walker at 704-797-4253.