Week in review: Test your nose for local news
1. At the Rowan County Republican Party’s annual convention March 2, who was elected chairman for the next two years?
A. Elaine Hewitt
B. Duane Andrews
C. Brian Bandy
D. Don Vick
2. Even though Hotwire Communications took over management of the city-owned Fibrant cable utility last October, the transition of customers to Hotwire is not complete. How many Fibrant customers have not been switched?
3. More than 100 people gathered at an elementary school Thursday evening to develop an action plan against the proposed closing of the school in favor of building an East Rowan Elementary School. What elementary school held the meeting?
4. The Butterfly Project, which involves all middle-schoolers in Rowan County plus students in grades four through 12 at North Hills Christian School, uses art and ceramic butterflies as a way to memorialize who?
A. Men, women and children lost during the terrorist attacks of Sept. 11, 2001
B. Military personnel who died during the D-Day invasion in 1944, because this year marks the 75th anniversary
C. Jewish children who died in the Holocaust
D. Students killed in a mass shooting last year at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida
5. To mark his 68th birthday, John Weaver of Salisbury walked 30 miles Thursday as a way to raise money to build something in Honduras, where he and his wife, Anna, often visit as missionaries. What does Weaver hope to build?
A. A school
B. A woodworking shop
C. A shoe factory
D. A church
6. During the recent CIAA Basketball Tournament in Charlotte, Livingstone College’s men’s team was recognized for what achievement?
A. The highest grade-point average in the conference
B. The highest graduation rate over the past five years
C. The best field-goal percentage for a record three years in a row
D. The longest tenured basketball coach in James Stinson
7. Reps. Harry Warren, R-Rowan, and Julia Howard, R-Davie, are sponsors of a bill with two other legislators to appropriate $4.5 million over the next two fiscal years toward what project in Rowan County?
A. Empire Hotel in Salisbury
B. Country Life Museum at Sloan Park
C. Restoration of the Power House at the N.C. Transportation Museum in Spencer
D. Expansion of Salisbury National Cemetery
8. With the help of the Rowan Literacy Council, Mei Xue “Macy” Dong and her husband, Lei (David), who have operated Top China restaurant in Salisbury for many years, recently became U.S. citizens. How many questions are on the test for U.S. citizenship?
9. Rowan Public Library’s digital lending platform, which offers a variety of e-books, downloadable audiobooks, periodicals, movies and magazines, goes by what name?
10. Because of all the activity around Buck Steam Station, Duke Energy has a five-year nest disturbance permit from the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, but workers on the Buck site still take great care to protect the nests of what particular birds covered by the permit?
A. Bald eagles
D. Red-tailed hawks
Answers to news quiz
By Mark Wineka firstname.lastname@example.org MILLBRIDGE — Imagine the lights on towers, huge amplifiers, a heavy curtain and hundreds of people... read more