49 Days of Gratitude continue
Published 12:00 am Thursday, February 28, 2019
49 Days of Gratitude
The NC Transportation Museum’s Gratitude Train Exhibit continues. See the North Carolina Merci Train car and actual gifts given by the French people, learn about the Gratitude Train that inspired the Merci Train, and much more.
NC Transportation Museum, 1 Samuel Spencer Blvd., Spencer, www.nctrans.org
‘Rise Above’ traveling exhibit: CAF Red Tail Squadron
Through March 3
This Tuskegee Airmen Exhibit is a mobile movie theater that tours the country year round to educate and inspire people of all ages with the history and lessons of the Tuskegee Airmen. Special train rides will be offered through March 1.
Dr. Blair L.M. Kelley
1 p.m. March 2
On Saturday the museum will also welcome Dr. Blair L.M. Kelley, the author of “Right To Ride: Streetcar Boycotts and African American Citizenship in the Era of Plessy v. Ferguson.” Kelley’s presentation details efforts at integrating transportation services that predate the Montgomery bus boycott by more than 50 years.
Center for Fatih & the Arts Living in Gratitude series
3 p.m. March. 10
Center for Faith & the Arts hosts monthly discussions from 3-4:30 p.m. on second Sundays, focusing on what gratitude is, how it impacts our lives, what we are grateful for, why is it so hard to be grateful at times, how does gratitude change the world around you, and other topics loosely based on Angeles Arrien’s book “Living in Gratitude.”
March’s topic is Compassionate Service. There is no charge. CFA, 207 W. Harrison St, behind Haven Lutheran Church. 704-647-0999, www.faithart.org
Gratitude Donation Boxes
In the spirit of the original boxcars, filled with “gifts of gratitude from 6 million French and Italian citizens, Gratitude Donation Boxes have been positioned around Rowan County to support our local charities.
• Wallace Educational Forum – Benefits Communities in Schools
• St. John’s Lutheran Church – Benefits Smart Start Rowan – Benefits Barnabas Connection/CFA – Benefits Engage North Rowan
• Veteran Donation Room – Benefits Salisbury VA Medical Center
• N.C. Transportation Museum – Benefits Prevent Child Abuse Rowan
• SoFul Yoga & Wellness – Benefits Family Crisis Council
• Pet Smart – Benefits Faithful Friends
• Back Creek Presbyterian Church, Mt. Ulla – Benefits Food for Thought
• St. John’s Lutheran Church – Benefits Henderson School
• First Presbyterian Church – Benefits Rowan Helping Ministries – Benefits Community Care Clinic – Benefits Family Crisis Council
• Corporate Office – Benefits The Pedal Factory
• Salisbury Hair Associates – Benefits Food for Thought
• South End Barber Shop, China Grove – Benefits Main Street Mission
• Salisbury Eyecare & Eyewear – Benefits Lion’s Club/RHM
• RetailBusinessServices.com – Benefits Capstone Recovery
• Salisbury Academy – Benefits Footprints in the Community
• Old Navy – Benefits Muddy Sneakers
• Dayspring Community Church – Benefits Pregnancy Crisis Center
• Moose Lodge – Benefits Communities in Schools
• The Gables – Benefits Habitat for Humanity/Restore
• The Forum – Benefits Prevent Child Abuse Rowan
• Corriher-Lipe Middle School – Benefits Salisbury VAMC
• Salisbury Post – Benefits Meals on Wheels
• Ritchie & Ritchie Emporium/Wanderer’s Rest – Benefits Main Street Marketplace
• Posh, China Grove – Benefits Rufty Holmes
• Graystone Spa – Benefits Lilypad Heaven
• NC Museum of Dolls, Toys & Miniatures – Benefits NC Museum of Dolls, Toys & Miniatures
The Butterfly Project
Middle school students in Rowan County will participate in The Butterfly Project, which remembers children lost in the holocaust. Each student will receive a ceramic butterfly to paint and also a bio card of a child who perished. A donation of $2 covers the cost for 1 child to participate. A donation of $1,200 covers the cost for a middle school.
The butterflies will be on display at the 49 Days of Gratitude closing ceremony on March 30 at North Rowan High School.
They will be used to create several permanent art installations throughout Rowan County that share The Butterfly Project’s message with the community and honor of the children whose lives were lost in the Holocaust. The installations will include a copy of The Butterfly Project’s memorial plaque to share the message of remembrance and hope.
Learn more at https://49daysofgratitude.com/the-butterfly-project/