Downtown revitalization work continues in Kannapolis
Published 6:25 pm Tuesday, February 19, 2019
KANNAPOLIS — Construction on Kannapolis’ downtown revitalization project — streetscaping, infrastructure and a baseball stadium — is well underway, and more work is on the horizon.
Projected to be ready in time for the spring 2020 baseball season, the stadium will be the home of the Kannapolis Intimidators team, which plans to change its name in conjunction with the move from its current ballpark near Interstate 85.
Streetscaping will create an “urban linear park” with green space for activities such as concerts, the arts, recreational activities and outdoor dining. Infrastructure work will replace aging and undersized utilities such as water and sewer lines as well as electric lines. Both are expected to be completed this year.
Preliminary site work is scheduled to begin this month on a “demonstration project” that will include apartments, a parking deck, restaurants and office space. It will be on West Avenue between Vance Avenue and West B Street. The city is responsible for providing about $12 million for construction of the parking deck while the remainder will come from private developers.
The demonstration project, also called VIDA, is expected to be complete by early 2021.
Other work downtown in February and March — weather permitting — will include:
• Installing sidewalks and fire hydrants on Vance Avenue.
• Adding curbing, gutters, sidewalk pavers and retaining walls for raised planters on Oak Avenue from Vance Avenue to West B Street.
• Stormwater work and completing retaining walls, layout of curb and gutters as well as an asphalt stone base for the street on West B Street from Oak to Chestnut avenues.
• Layout of curbs and asphalt stone base installation on West B Street from Oak to West avenues.
• Masonry for raised planters and seat walls, curb and gutter installation, and concrete bands around parking areas on West Avenue from West B Street to Vance Avenue).
• Sewer and stormwater lines, curbs and gutters, and asphalt stone on West Avenue North from West B to West First streets.
• Underground plumbing work, dugout and retaining walls for the baseball stadium, also known as the Sports and Entertainment Venue.
• Site preparation at existing buildings and concrete removal for the demonstration project.
For more information on the downtown revitalization project, visit www.kannapolisnc.gov/revitilization.