Blotter: Salisbury man just released from prison faces felony sex offense
SALISBURY — A Salisbury man who was recently released from prison faces a felony sex offense charge, authorities say.
The Rowan County Sheriff’s Office on Wednesday charged Jason Edward Morton, 36, of the 1800 block of Miller Chapel Road, with felony taking indecent liberties with a child. The incident happened before he was sentenced to prison.
Authorities say Morton sent an inappropriate text message to a young girl and made inappropriate sexual requests of that child.
Morton remains in the Rowan County Detention Center under a $75,000 secured bond.
In other Rowan County Sheriff’s Office reports:
• A report was taken Tuesday for forgery, possession of cocaine and possession of methamphetamine in the 2100 block of West C Street, Kannapolis.
• A man reported a larceny Tuesday in the 2400 block of Wind Swept Way, Rockwell.
• A woman reported fraud Tuesday in the 1000 block of Pond School Road, Richfield.
• A report was taken on Tuesday for possession of marijuana drug paraphernalia, contributing to the delinquency of a minor and possession of a concealed weapon by a minor in the 1400 block of Superior Avenue, Kannapolis.
• A man reported an assault and property damage Tuesday in the 1200 block of Kluttz Road.
• A woman reported an assault Tuesday in the 2700 block of Bringle Ferry Road.
• Megan Nicole Yates, 21, was charged Tuesday with misdemeanor possession of drug paraphernalia in the 100 block of Burmac Circle.
• James Christopher Rife, 36, was charged Tuesday with misdemeanor assault with a deadly weapon at the Rowan County Magistrate’s Office.
• Asher Winston Dula, 18, was charged Tuesday with misdemeanor possession of drug paraphernalia in the 1400 block of Superior Avenue, Kannapolis.
In Salisbury Police Department reports:
• Marijuana was found Wednesday in a vehicle in the 400 block of Lloyd Street.
Contact reporter Shavonne Walker at 704-797-4253.