Give blood during National Blood Donor Month
The American Red Cross is urging donations of blood and platelets to fill an urgent need during January, National Blood Donor Month.
The critical role of blood and platelet donors has been celebrated each January for nearly 50 years. January is typically one of the most difficult times to maintain a sufficient blood supply. Busy holiday schedules, winter weather and seasonal illnesses often affect donor turnout this time of year.
The Red Cross encourages eligible donors to resolve to give blood or platelets regularly, beginning in January. To encourage donations immediately, all those who donate by Sunday will get a long-sleeved Red Cross T-shirt, while supplies last.
Another way to help keep the blood supply strong in the new year is to host a Red Cross blood drive. To learn more about hosting a blood drive and sign up, visit RedCrossBlood.org/HostADrive.
Several blood drives are planned in the area.
• 9 a.m.-1:30 p.m. Friday, Novant Health Rowan Medical Center, 612 Mocksville Ave.
• 2-7 p.m. Friday, Salisbury Masonic Lodge, 401 N. Fulton St.
• Noon-4:30 p.m. Monday, American Red Cross, E.H. Dole Chapter I, 1930 Jake Alexander Blvd. W.
• 2-6:30 p.m. Monday, Life Church, 708 Jake Alexander Blvd. W.
• 2:30-7 p.m. Monday, Franklin Baptist Church-Salisbury, 3810 U.S. 601.
• 11:30 a.m.-4 p.m. Jan. 11, Rowan County Rescue Squad, 1140 Julian Road.
• 11 a.m.-3:30 p.m. Jan. 17, Genesis Healthcare, 710 Julian Road.
• Noon-4:30 p.m. Jan. 20, Christiana Lutheran Church, 6190 N.C.. 52.
• 1-5:30 p.m. Jan. 20, Bethel Lutheran Church-Salisbury, 355 East Ridge Road.
• 2:30-7 p.m. Jan. 24, Stallings Memorial Baptist-Salisbury, 817 S. Main St.
• 2:30-7 p.m. Jan. 24, Trinity Oaks Health and Rehab, 820 Klumac Road.
• 11 a.m.-3:30 p.m. Jan. 26, Tilley Harley-Davidson of Salisbury, 653 Bendix Drive.
• 9 a.m.-1:30 p.m. Jan. 16, South Rowan YMCA, 950 Kimball Road.
• 1-5:30 p.m. Jan .13, Millbridge Ruritan, 490 Sloan Road.
• 1-5:30 p.m. Jan. 28, Rockwell Amvets, 427 Link St.
• 2-6:30 p.m. Jan. 29, Saleeby-Fisher YMCA, 790 Crescent Road.