• 37°

Rowan weather: Flood watch tonight through Saturday morning

Get out your hip waders, we’re going to have some rain.

Rowan County is under a flood watch from 7 p.m. tonight through 7 a.m. Saturday. Heavy rainfall is expected, and creeks, streams and rivers are already at higher levels from recent rains and the snow.

The chance of rain during the day today is just 20 percent, and it will start later in the day, around 4 p.m. It will be cloudy and 48 today, with east northeast wind at 3-6 mph.

The chance of rain tonight is 90 percent, with fog after 8 p.m., followed by showers after 10 p.m. Temperatures will actually rise overnight into the lower 50s.

A quarter to half inch of rain is possible.

Friday will have a 90 percent chance of showers, with thunderstorms possible after 11 a.m. It will be 64, with south wind at 8-11 mph and gusts up to 18 mph. Another three-quarters to an inch of rain is possible.

Friday night will have a 30 percent chance of showers, mainly before 9 p.m. It will be cloudy, with a low of 47 and southwest wind at 5-7 mph. About a tenth of an inch of rain is possible.

Saturday will be mostly sunny and 62, with northwest wind at 3-5 mph.

Trouble starts again Saturday night, with a 50 percent chance of rain after 11 p.m. It will be mostly cloudy and 43.

Sunday has a 70 percent chance of showers. It will be cloudy and 51. The chance of showers Sunday night is 60 percent, with a low of 40.

New Year’s Eve also has a 60 percent chance of showers. It will be mostly cloudy and 55. The same chance of rain is possible Monday night, with cloudy skies and a low of 48.

New Year’s Day will have a 60 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. It will be cloudy and 60. The chance of showers drops to 40 percent Tuesday night, with a low of 40 and mostly cloudy skies.

Wednesday will be partly sunny and 50, with a 30 percent chance of showers.

Comments

Coronavirus

10% of Rowan residents receive first dose; eight COVID-19 deaths reported this week

News

North Carolina State Highway Patrol commander to retire

Education

UNC School of the Arts may go for online learning due to COVID-19 spread

Coronavirus

Greensboro site to administer 3,000 daily vaccine doses starting March 10

Nation/World

$1.9 billion relief bill closer to passage in House

Nation/World

Lady Gaga’s dogs recovered safely

Coronavirus

Advisers OK single-shot COVID-19 vaccine from J&J

Local

Post wins 18 N.C. Press Association Awards

Education

Cooper vetoes bill that would force K-12 schools to reopen

Local

Lanning named Spencer’s fire chief

Crime

Blotter: Feb. 26

Crime

Salisbury, Kannapolis men charged with soliciting sexual acts

News

Racial bias ‘deeply entrenched’ in report critical of Apex Police Department

Nation/World

US bombs facilities in Syria used by Iran-backed militia

Elections

City council again dismisses idea of adding new member, focus now on recommendation to delay elections

Business

‘Let’s make some money:’ Loosened restrictions praised by bar owners, baseball team

High School

Salisbury High bucks historical trend in dominant shutout of West Rowan

Enochville

Garage declared total loss after Enochville fire

Crime

Cooper, N.C. prison officials agree to release 3,500 inmates

Coronavirus

Two more COVID-19 deaths reported in Rowan, six for the week

Crime

Blotter: Man brandishes AR-15, runs over motorcycle at Rockwell-area gas station

Crime

Salisbury man charged with exploitation of minor

Crime

Road rage incident results in assault charges

Local

Dukeville lead testing results trickle in, more participation needed