Holiday season is great time to visit farms
Published 12:00 am Friday, November 23, 2018
RALEIGH – Whether you’re choosing the perfect Christmas tree, learning in a workshop with friends or picking out a great gift for grandma, N.C. farms are open this holiday season with a variety of agritourism experiences for everyone to enjoy.
“North Carolina is home to more than 1,000 agritourism farms, and each offers a unique experience,” said Agriculture Commissioner Steve Troxler. “As you make plans for family this holiday season, I encourage you to consider an agritourism activity and learn more about the state’s $87 billion agriculture industry.”
Following is a list of farms offering special agritourism activities this holiday season and into the winter. Visitors are encouraged to verify event dates and hours of operations before they go.
Western North Carolina
- Darnell Farms in Bryson City will offer Christmas trees, wreaths, candy, lights and more through New Year’s Eve.
- Devine Farms in Newton will have visits with Santa on Dec. 1, from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. A Santa photo fundraiser will help make Christmas a little brighter for area families in need. The event also includes a bake sale, wagon rides, bonfire and music.
- Elkin Creek Vineyard in Elkin will host a Holiday Wine Dinner on Dec. 15 featuring a three-course meal with wine pairing. Registration is required. The vineyard also has winter cabin weekend packages January through March.
- Good Karma Ranch in Iron Station is having a Holiday Open House on Dec. 22 from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Visitors will have the chance to meet the alpacas and purchase last-minute gifts in the farm store.
- Miss Angels Farm in Mt. Airy offers educational field trips that teach about pruning, grafting and fruit-tree care. The farm will offer an outdoor Woodturning Pizza for Lovers event on Feb. 14. Reservation is required.
- New Beginnings Historic Farm in Rutherfordton will hold a holiday-themed farm event Dec. 8, 9, 15 and 16, from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. The event includes a visit with Santa, candlelight tours, farm animals, hayrides, hot apple cider and more.
- OakMoon Farm in Bakersville will hold several goat-related workshops during the winter season including a goat husbandry workshop on Feb. 2; doe care and kidding intensive workshop on March 9; and rearing goat kids workshop on March 10. See website for more details and registration.
- Stowe Dairy Christmas Tree Farm in Gastonia opens for the season on Nov. 17 and will remain open until all the trees are sold. Santa will make special appearances Nov. 24 and Dec. 1 from 1-5 p.m.
- Trosly Farm in Elk Park features a farm store with fresh breads, handmade chocolates, farm-raised pork, spices, gifts and more. The farm store is open Saturdays through Dec. 22, from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Woodland Harvest Mountain Farm in West Jefferson will launch an eight-month series where the farm will plan, design and implement a cordwood-and-cob, natural timber structure on its property. The first weekend workshop is Feb. 8-10. Registration is available on the farm’s website.
Central North Carolina
- 1870 Farm in Chapel Hill will host its Holiday Hayride with Santa, Dec. 2-24. Guests can tour the 17-acre farm on a hayride with Santa.
- Almond Farms in Albemarle offers choose-and-cut Christmas trees, wreaths, a gift shop and more. The farm will open for the holiday season today and operate Thursdays-Sundays through Christmas.
- Cedar Grove Blueberry Farm in Cedar Grove will celebrate Wassailing Day on Jan. 20 with cider, beer, brats and fire, and will celebrate Valentine’s Day with a chocolate and cider pairing on Feb. 9.
- Deans Farm Market in Wilson is open for Christmas tree field trips throughout December. Each field trip includes visits with Mrs. Claus, Christmas story, agriculture class about N.C. Christmas trees and a visit to the Christmas tree lot. The farm also will hold Santa’s Workshop on Dec. 22 from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Tickets are available online.
- Flint Rock Farm in Cameron will host a “Christmas on the Farm” day camp on Dec. 1 from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Participants will learn about Christmas trees, take a nature walk to make ornaments, decorate Christmas cookies and go on pony rides. Pre-registration is required by calling 910-263-9366.
- Hipp Farms Corn Maze & Field of Fun in Fuquay-Varina will offer Christmas-themed hayrides through its corn field Fridays-Sundays running from Nov. 24-Dec. 29.
- Hickory Creek Farm in Greensboro will open for the Christmas tree season Nov. 23-Dec. 22. A special Christmas shopping experience will take place on Black Friday, Nov. 23, at the farm.
- Millstone Creek Orchards in Ramseur will hold Christmas Hayrides and Christmas with the Kringles weekends from Nov. 23-Dec. 23.
- Jordan Lake Christmas Tree Farm in Apex offers choose-and-cut Christmas trees, Fraser firs, wreaths, roping and family activities. The farm is open Nov. 23-25, and 28-30 and Dec. 1-2, 5-9, and 12-16.
- Mitchell’s Nursery & Greenhouse in King will host a poinsettia display and open house on Dec. 2.
- Sanderson Wreaths and Garland in Four Oaks will have a Christmas Kickoff event on Nov. 24, from 5-8 p.m. Guests can pick their Christmas tree, visit with Santa, enjoy barrel train rides, fire pits and more.
- Smith’s Family Fun Farm in Hillsborough will be open for the Christmas season Nov. 23-Dec. 24. The farm grows pine and cedar trees, and also has a selection of Fraser firs and wreaths.
- Starrlight Mead in Pittsboro will be open for Small Business Saturday on Nov. 24. The winery also will host its Holiday Open House on Dec. 8 and a Home Mead Making Class on Jan. 19.
- Toms Creek Nursery in Farmer will host its 15th annual Wreath Making Workshop. Participants can make a wreath, enjoy holiday music, chocolates and more. Sessions are offered three times a day Nov. 23-30; twice daily Nov. 24, Dec. 1 and 8; and twice daily Dec. 3-7. More details and registration are available on the nursery’s website.
- Well Fed Community Garden in Raleigh is offering a Backyard Chicken Talk for those interested in learning how to keep backyard chickens. The event will be Dec. 8 from 10-11:30 a.m.
- Eastern North Carolina• Cypress Bend Vineyards in Wagram will hold a Christmas Open House on Dec. 8 from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. The annual event will feature music, food vendors and merchandise specials.
- Little Creek Market in Walstonburg will offer freshly cut N.C. Christmas trees starting Nov. 17. The market also will host Cookies with Santa on Nov. 24. Little Creek Market is located at 4428 Lewis Store Road.
- Lu Mil Vineyard in Elizabethtown transforms into a Christmas village for its annual Festival of Lights celebration. Guests can drive through thousands of lights and decorations, visit with Santa, enjoy a country buffet and shop for unique holiday gifts. The festival operates Nov. 24-25; Nov. 29-Dec. 2; Dec. 6-9; and Dec. 13-23.
- Twiddle Dee Farm in Clinton offers farmstays every weekend through the holiday season.