Week in review: Test your nose for local news
1. Sonya Dalton, 34, a mother and a barista at Starbucks, was killed Tuesday evening when she was struck by a vehicle while checking her mailbox in front of her home. Authorities say the driver was drunk. Where did the crash happen?
A. Julian Road
B. Mooresville Road
C. Airport Road
D. West Innes Street
2. The Catawba College theater arts department presented a Shakespeare classic last week on campus. Which play was performed?
A. “The Merchant of Venice”
D. “Romeo and Juliet”
3. The Salisbury High School Hornets were defeated in a semifinal match of the 2A soccer tournament Thursday night. Who won?
A. West Rowan High
C. Clinton High School
D. Central Davidson
4. Catherine Allison, the scale-house attendant at the Rowan County landfill, says she’s busy all the time. About how many trucks a day does she weigh at the landfill?
5. Zion Hill Apartments complex marked its 50th anniversary, and a rededication on Wednesday also celebrated more than $4 million in recent renovations. What two entities formed the partnership that built Zion Hill in 1968?
A. Livingstone College and Salisbury Housing Authority
B. The city of Salisbury and Rowan County
C. Soldiers Memorial and Moore’s Chapel AME Zion churches
D. Salisbury Community Development Corp. and West End Community Organization
6. Starting this past Veterans Day, Hefner VA Medical Center began marking the death of any veteran at the facility by doing what?
A. Sounding eight tones, similar to the eight bells that signaled the end of a watch in the Navy
B. Playing the national anthem
C. Playing the service song associated with the veteran’s branch of service
D. Announcing the veteran’s name over the campus public-address system, along with his branch and length of service
7. Rowan County’s decision to join with Kannapolis to extend water and sewer to the new Old Beatty Ford Road interchange of Interstate 85 will cost Rowan County how much?
A. $500 million
B. $1 million for the project, with an additional $2.7 million in debt forgiveness to Kannapolis
C. $16 million, plus $6 million in debt forgiveness to Kannapolis
D. It won’t cost Rowan County a dime. Kannapolis is picking up the tab in exchange for being able to annex the property
8. After 14 years, Preston Mitchell has left the city of Salisbury for a job in Johnson City, Tennessee. What was Mitchell’s job with city government?
A. Human resources director
B. Recreation supervisor
C. Development and code services manager
D. Transit director
9. Before rain and cold weather postponed their work earlier last week, an archaeological crew from Richmond, Virginia, was digging on property off East Bank Street looking for evidence of what?
A. A Sapona Indian settlement
B. A campground used by explorer John Lawson
C. A whiskey distillery dating to the 1700s
D. The foundation of a building that was part of Salisbury Confederate Prison
10. Travis Allen, a member of the Rowan-Salisbury Board of Education, has a new hobby. What is it?
A. Collecting Rowan County long rifles
B. Searching for artifacts with a metal detector
C. Running marathons
D. Grilling pork and beef competitively
SALISBURY — The Rev. Dr. Vernon Shannon reminded his audience Wednesday of an important thing. “We should not be so... read more