Christmas Bureau needs volunteers Friday and Saturday
The programs are the Salvation Army Angel Tree, the Salisbury Post’s Christmas Happiness Fund and Project Santa.
Applications will be taken at these times:
• 8:30 a.m.-5:30 p.m. Friday.
• 8:30 a.m.-2 p.m. Saturday.
• 8:30 a.m.-2 p.m. Oct. 27.
People who can help for a block of time should get in touch with the Rowan County United Way, which coordinates the bureau, by calling 704-633-1802 or emailing Jenny Lee at email@example.com to sign up.
The program has a special need for volunteers who can speak Spanish as well as English.
Volunteers help families complete applications to determine eligibility. They also help identify the families’ needs.
The application site is J.F. Hurley Family YMCA at 828 Jake Alexander Blvd. W.
Volunteers should arrive 30 minutes early for training. They must be at least 18 years old.
Those applying for help should bring the following records:
• Birth certificates for all children 12 and younger.
• The applicant’s driver’s license or other photo identification, along with guardianship papers if the applicant is not a parent.
• If no current ID is available, bring a lease and utility bill.
• Up-to-date Medicaid card for each child.
• Proof of all income and expenses, food and nutrition program voucher and/or unemployment benefits letter.
The Salvation Army and Hurley Y are United Way agencies.