• 73°

Rowan weather: Update — flash flood watch Saturday through Tuesday

3:20 p.m. : Rowan and all the surrounding counties are under a flash flood watch from 8 a.m. Saturday to 8 a.m. Tuesday, Sept. 18

Hurricane Florence will move inland Friday, slowly progressing westward across the Carolinas through early next week. The storm will gradually weaken over the region, though heavy rain will continue even after winds taper off.

Soils will become saturated and flash flooding is likely to develop. Heavy rain from Hurricane Florence and its later remnants will lead to flash flooding across much of the area. 6 to 10 inches of rain generally are expected, with isolated amounts up to 15 inches, particularly along the east and south sides of mountain
ridges, including the Blue Ridge Escarpment.

Life-threatening flash flooding may develop as heavy rain bands occur this weekend into early next week, especially where the rain falls on soils left saturated by earlier rainfall. A few landslides can be expected in the mountains and foothills.
Streams and creeks may rise quickly during heavy rain and flood nearby low-lying areas. Larger rivers eventually may rise to flood stage as well.

 

Today will be mostly cloudy and windy, with no chance of rain. We’ll have a high of 83, with north northeast wind at 7-15 mph and gusts up to 23 mph.

Tonight will be mostly cloudy and 72, with north wind at 13-16 mph, and gusts up to 25 mph.

If Hurricane Florence continues on its current path, we’ll begin to feel her effects Friday. It will be mostly cloudy and 81, with a 40 percent chance of showers after 8 a.m. North northeast wind will be sustained at 18-22 mph, with gusts up to 34 mph. A tenth to quarter inch of rain is expected.

Friday night will also have a 40 percent chance of showers. It will be mostly cloudy and 70, with north northeast wind around 21 mph, gusting to 31 mph. Another tenth to quarter inch of rain is expected.

Saturday we’ll feel more of the storm. The chance of rain is 60 percent, mainly after 11 a.m. It will be cloudy and 78. North northeast wind will be 20-22 mph, with gusts around 32 mph.

The chance of rain Saturday night will be 70 percent, with thunderstorms in the early hours of Sunday. It will be cloudy and 69 and windy.

Sunday has an 80 percent chance of rain and a high of 77, with more wind. Showers and thunderstorms are possible after 9 p.m., with the same 80 percent chance of rain. The low will be 70.

Monday has a 70 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. It will be cloudy and 80. The same chance of rain is possible Monday night, with more thunderstorms. The low will be 70.

Tuesday will have a 60 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. It will be mostly cloudy and 83. The chance of showers goes down to 40 percent Tuesday night, with a low of 68.

Wednesday will be mostly sunny and 84, with a 30 percent chance of showers.

Comments

East Spencer

East Spencer draws crowd for annual community day

Elections

In Rowan’s legislative races, Howard, Warren get off to strongest start in fundraising

Business

From Navy SEAL to Medicare agent, Trent Waller looks to continue serving his community

Elections

In 13th Congressional District race, Budd, Huffman differ on government’s role in COVID-19 help

Local

Rowan County Telecommunications joins new state digital 911 system

Education

School board will consider scheduling public hearings for Faith, Enochville closures

Business

Biz Roundup: Food Lion makes donation to support racial equality and justice

Elections

Republicans rally supporters at Saturday lunch

Elections

Budd holds wide lead over Huffman in fundraising, cash on hand

Crime

UPDATED: 1 shot, 5 in custody after shooting at haunted house that attracted 1,000 visitors

Nation/World

Trump picks conservative Amy Coney Barrett to fill Supreme Court seat

Coronavirus

Deadly September propels Rowan County to 100 deaths from COVID-19

Crime

Highway Patrol charges man in hit-and-run after finding vehicle hidden in woods

Elections

NC elections board, Republicans at odds over absentee ballot rule changes

News

Voters struggling with witness rules in early voting

News

Trump expected to announce conservative Amy Coney Barrett for Supreme Court

Coronavirus

County reports COVID-19 percent positive rate of 8%

Local

Rowan County United Way sets $1.5 million goal at drive-in kickoff event

Crime

Blotter: Adult daughters accused of beating up mother

China Grove

China Grove firefighters injured after truck overturns

Business

Salisbury VA to reopen entry, exit gates

Crime

Sheriff’s Office looking for suspect in Burlington Coat Factory theft

Elections

Requests for absentee ballots top 9,000 in Rowan

Local

Spencer approves supplemental USDA loan for Park Plaza project