Rowan County declares state of emergency
Published 8:50 am Tuesday, September 11, 2018
Rowan County Board of Commissioners Chairman Greg Edds has signed a State of Emergency Declaration for Hurricane Florence. This was effective as of 9 p.m. on Sept. 10.
At this point in the storm’s development the Rowan County Emergency Management Division is engaged in response planning and information dissemination. County Manager Aaron Church said, “Citizens should be confident that all elements of response and care systems are being activated to prepare for this event.”
The County’s Emergency Operations Center is activated and will increase activity to match the hurricane’s progress. Daily conference calls will be held with community leaders and public safety officials as a means to provide support and share information starting today at 2 p.m.
The overall plan includes an organized management of response resources, sheltering capabilities, and recovery services. Additionally, Rowan County is in constant communication with North Carolina Emergency Management to coordinate additional resources support if needed.
Rowan County Emergency Management Chief Chris Soliz said, “Do not be complacent. Now is the time to prepare. Everyone is advised to gather essential food and water supplies for at least 3 days. You should also keep in mind specific needs including medications, important documents, and contact information for family members.”
Residents can get additional information and preparedness instructions by visiting www.readyrowan.org and continually monitoring our social media platforms. When searching and posting to social media please use the established hashtag #FlorenceRoCo, which will help us stay informed of local conditions.
Useful Apps to use are CodeRed and ReadyNC. CodeRed will be useful for receiving updates and instructions. Sheltering information is available on the ReadyNC App.
Lastly, for specific information regarding hurricane preparedness you can go to https://www.ready.gov/hurricanes.
Although no shelters are open right now the following shelter locations are provided for general awareness in the event that they need to be opened.
Rowan County Shelters: (also available at www.readyrowan.org)
• Hefner VA Medical Center, Bldg. 6, 1601 Brenner Ave., Salisbury
• Salisbury YMCA, 828 W. Jake Alexander Blvd., Salisbury
• Centenary United Methodist Church, 620 Centenary Church Rd., Mount Ulla
• Concordia Lutheran Church,185 Concordia Church Rd., China Grove
• Cornerstone Church, 315 Webb Rd., Salisbury
• East Rowan YMCA, 790 Crescent Rd., Rockwell
• First Baptist Church/Rockwell, 8630 Hillcrest Dr., Rockwell
• Granite Quarry Municipal Bldg., 143 N. Salisbury Ave., Granite Quarry
• Jackson Park Elementary School, 1400 Jackson St Kannapolis
• Rogers Park Baptist Church, 309 E. 24th St., Kannapolis.
• Salisbury City Park Rec Center, 316 Lake Dr., Salisbury
• Salisbury Civic Center, 315 Martin Luther King Jr. Ave., Salisbury
• Salisbury Hall Gym, 1400 W. Bank St., Salisbury
• Salisbury Miller Recreation Center, 1402 W. Bank St., Salisbury
• South Rowan YMCA, 950 Kimball Rd., China Grove, Landis
• Woodrow Wilson School, 800 N. Walnut St., Kannapolis
• NC Lutheran Home/Trinity Oaks, 820 Klumac Rd., Salisbury
• Rufty-Holmes Senior Center, 1120 S. MLK Jr. Ave. Salisbury