Amtrak passenger train services canceled ahead of Hurricane Florence
Published 1:33 pm Tuesday, September 11, 2018
RALEIGH – Amtrak passenger train service traveling in and through North Carolina will be modified starting on Wednesday morning, in anticipation of impacts from Hurricane Florence.
The following passenger train services will be canceled between Wednesday and Sunday:
• Auto Trains (trains 53 and 53), which run from Lorton, Va., to Sanford, Fla.
• Silver Meteors (Trains 97 and 98), which run from New York City through Rocky Mount and Fayetteville and conclude in Miami.
• Crescents (trains 19 and 20), which run from New York City to New Orleans and travel through Greensboro, High Point, Salisbury and Charlotte NS 19 and 20.
• Silver Star (southbound train 91), which runs from New York City through Rocky Mount, Raleigh, Cary, Southern Pines and Hamlet, and conclude in Miami, will be cancelled between New York City and Jacksonville, Fla.
The following passenger train services will be canceled from Thursday through Sunday:
• Silver Star, (northbound train 92), which run from Miami to New York and runs through Hamlet, Southern Pines, Cary, Raleigh and Rocky Mount, is canceled between Jacksonville, Fla. and New York City.
• Carolinians (trains 79 and 80), which run from New York City to Charlotte and travel through Rocky Mount, Wilson, Selma, Raleigh, Cary, Durham, Burlington, Greensboro, High Point, Salisbury and Kannapolis.
• Piedmonts (trains 73, 74, 75, 76, 77 and 78), which run from Raleigh to Charlotte.
Also, passenger train service will be canceled for the Palmettos (trains 89 and 90), which run from New York City through Rocky Mount, Wilson, Selma and Fayetteville before arriving in Savannah, Ga., will be canceled between Washington D.C. and Savannah from Wednesday through Tuesday.
For more passenger train information and to reschedule train travel, please visit Amtrak.com or call 1-800-USA-RAIL, or visit ncbytrain.org or call 1-800-BY-TRAIN.
Freight train schedules are being modified too. CSXT Freight Train Service and Norfolk Southern Freight Train Service anticipate modifications starting on Wednesday on its eastern North Carolina rail corridors with no service on those lines Thursday and Friday. Updates on plans for freight train service will be provided as soon as they are available.