Celebrate the longest day of the year at Rufty-Holmes Senior Center
Rufty-Holmes Senior Center will celebrate the longest day of the year Thursday with a party from sunrise to sunset.
Rufty-Holmes and area partners want to honor and bring awareness to caregivers of people with Alzheimer’s, who often have long days of caring for loved ones with dementia-related diseases.
People will rock in rocking chairs from 7:30 a.m. to 7 p.m. to raise awareness and money for the Alzheimer’s Association to help find a cure. The Mu Chapter of the Gamma Theta Sisters of N.C. Alpha Delta Kappa will host the rock-a-thon in the pavilion outside the center. Extra rocking chairs will be available.
Music, food and activities are planned. Attendants should wear purple to support Alzheimer’s awareness.
The celebration will go on rain or shine. The schedule is:
• 7:45 a.m.: Standing Yoga in the covered pavilion, open to all ages.
• 9 a.m. -7 p.m.: Live musicians and DJs will entertain. Bring a chair and sit in the shade.
• 9 a.m.-4 p.m.: Lemonade stand for caregivers; local agency representatives will share information about resources and assistance for local caregivers and those who may need caregiver resources in the future.
• 9:30 a.m.-noon: Trunk Treasures Yard Sale. Vendors will sell their wares in the back parking lot.
• 11 a.m.-1 p.m.:Divine Appetit Food Vendor will sell hot dog lunches.
• 1-3 p.m.: Yard games including cornhole, table games in the shade, chair volleyball in the gym and more. Enjoy free popcorn and freezer pops.
• 4-7 p.m.: A classic car show and burger dinner.
• 6 p.m.: Old Rockers Band will perform.
Rufty-Holmes Senior Center is at 1120 S. Martin Luther King Jr. Ave.
For more information, call 704-216-7714
By Shavonne Walker email@example.com SALISBURY — A gang member and another man remain remain behind bars after they were charged... read more