• 55°

Rowan weather: If the heat doesn’t get you, the bad air will

With a heat wave upon us, we’ll also be dealing with poor air quality.

Today, Tuesday and Wednesday will be Code Orange air quality action days, with ozone being the biggest problem. The alert is in effect from 10 a.m. to 8 p.m.

The air quality is unhealthy for sensitive groups, including children, active adults and people with heart and respiratory disease.

Open burning is prohibited on air quality action days.

With temperatures in the mid to upper 90s, the heat index will be 100-102 today, going up to 105 on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday.

Check on the elderly to make sure they have at least a fan to help them in the heat. In some cases, people will need to be brought into air conditioning.

Pets also suffer in this heat — concrete pavement can reach temperatures around 140 degrees in this heat — enough to burn paws.

Today will be sunny and 95, with light west wind. Tonight will be clear and 73, with light southwest wind.

Tuesday’s high will be 97, with plenty of sun and not much wind from the west. Heat index values could approach 103 degrees. A 20 percent chance of showers and storms is possible before 9 p.m., then the low will be 74.

Wednesday will be mostly sunny and 96, with a 30 percent chance of showers and storms after 5 p.m. Calm wind will be from the west at 5-7 mph in the afternoon.

Wednesday’s low will be 73 with a 30 percent chance of showers and storms.

Thursday will be partly sunny and 95, with a 40 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms after noon. The same chance of rain lasts through Thursday night into Friday. The low Thursday will be 72.

Friday has a 40 percent chance of showers after noon. It will be mostly cloudy and 90. The chance of showers Friday night is 60 percent, with a low of 71.

Saturday will be mostly cloudy and 90, with a 40 percent chance of showers and storms. The chance of rain reduces to 30 percent Saturday night, with a low of 72.

Sunday will be mostly sunny and 93, with a 30 percent chance of showers and storms.

Any showers will be spotty, with no widespread coverage until Friday night. The air is unstable, but the heat can evaporate rain before it reaches the ground.

Comments

Business

With remote expansion, outsource provider FCR looks to become an ‘exceptional part’ of Rowan community

Local

City expects $1.5 million surplus in current budget, ability to raise some wages for police, public works

Education

Enochville Elementary to host farewell event May 1

College

Seahawks QB Russell Wilson will speak at NC State graduation

High School

High school softball: Carson beats West in a wild one

High School

Wonders, Trojans facing off Monday on Cannon Ballers’ field

Local

City approves two apartment developments, more than 160 new units

Nation/World

Crowds react with joy, wariness to verdict in Floyd’s death

News

Bill seeks to end pistol purchase permits from NC sheriffs

Coronavirus

Rowan County sees 300th death attributed to COVID-19

News

Chauvin convicted on all counts in George Floyd’s death

Local

Top North Carolina House finance chair, Rowan representative stripped of position

Crime

One charged, another hospitalized in fight between cousins

Local

Bell Tower Green renamed to honor Stanbacks; Nancy Stanback receives key to city

Business

Commissioners green light additional houses at Cherry Treesort in China Grove

Education

A.L. Brown will hold in-person, outdoor graduation

Local

Granite Quarry awards FEMA contract for Granite Lake Park

Local

City to vote on apartment developments, final phases of Grants Creek Greenway project

High School

High school football: North receiver McArthur a rising star

Columnists

Carl Blankenship: Pollen and prejudice make their return

News

Harris pitches $2.3T spending plan on trip to North Carolina

Nation/World

Murder case against ex-cop in Floyd’s death goes to the jury

Crime

Sheriff’s office: Man takes deputies on chase with stolen moped

Coronavirus

Afternoon, evening COVID-19 vaccination clinic planned Thursday