• 52°

Rowan weather: Bad air quality day

Today is a Code Orange air quality alert day from 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. Ground level ozone is to blame. The air will be unhealthy for sensitive people, such as children, active adults and those with heart or lung diseases. Try to limit outdoor activity.

It will be mostly sunny and 84, with northeast wind at 5-7 mph. Tonight will be partly cloudy and 65, with light east wind. Patchy fog will form around 4 a.m.

Friday is predicted to be a Code Orange air quality day, too. We’ll see patchy fog before 9 a.m., then it will be mostly sunny and 87, with southeast wind around 5 mph in the afternoon.

Friday night will be partly cloudy and 68, with south southwest wind calming in the evening.

Saturday will be mostly sunny and 89, with southwest wind around 5 mph in the afternoon. A 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms is possible Saturday night, with partly cloudy skies and a low of 69.

Sunday will have a 40 percent chance of showers before 1 p.m., then thunderstorms after that. It will be partly sunny and hot, with a high of 90. The chance of more rain Sunday night is 60 percent, with mostly cloudy skies and a low of 68.

Monday brings a 40 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms after noon. It will be mostly cloudy and 83. Monday night will have the same chance of showers and storms, and be mostly cloudy and 66.

Tuesday will be partly sunny and 84, with a 30 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. The same chance is possible Tuesday night, with a low of 67.

Wednesday should be partly sunny and 87.

Comments

Local

Photos: Salisbury High Hornets win big in 2AA championship game

Local

County manager outlines projections for the upcoming fiscal year budget, suggests uses for stimulus money

Business

Miami-based Browns Athletic Apparel opens second screen printing location in Salisbury

News

At funeral, fallen Watauga deputies remembered as ‘heroes’

Coronavirus

COVID-19 cluster identified at Granite Quarry Elementary

Coronavirus

More than half of North Carolinians have now taken at least one vaccine shot

Local

City hopes to cover expenses in 2021-22 budget with surplus revenue generated this year

Local

Fallen tree proves to be a blessing for local nonprofit Happy Roots

Local

Quotes of the week

Coronavirus

Health department drops quarantine time from 14 to 10 days

High School

High school football: Hornets pour it on in second half to claim state championship

Crime

Blotter: More than $100,000 in property reported stolen from Old Beatty Ford Road site

Local

City fights invasive beetles by injecting trees with insecticide

Local

City names downtown recipients for federal Parks Service grant

China Grove

China Grove Town Council weighs 2021-22 budget priorities, supports buying body cameras

Education

Educators reflect on Teacher Appreciation Week

Education

Livingstone College wins $30,000 Home Depot grant

Education

Shoutouts

News

Shield-A-Badge With Prayer program enters 26th year, accepting volunteers to pair with officers

Education

COVID-19 infection, quarantine numbers in Rowan-Salisbury Schools reach new highs

High School

High school football: Offensive line came together for Hornets, who play for state title tonight

Local

Pro baseball: White makes pro debut and says, ‘It felt amazing to be out there’

Education

West Rowan Middle eighth grader wins investment writing contest

Local

YSUP Rowan invites agencies to participate in youth-focused training