Self-guided Arts & Ag farm tours this weekend
Published 12:00 am Wednesday, May 30, 2018
It’s a beautiful time of year on the farms of Rowan County, and the first ever Rowan Arts & Ag Tour offers a chance to see it all firsthand.
In a combination of the county’s rich farm heritage and vibrant arts culture, visitors will learn about local farms and find working artists exhibiting their talents.
The free self-guided tour features 12 Rowan County farms with artists at each site from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday and 1 to 5 p.m. Sunday.
“During the recent county branding surveys, arts and agriculture were identified as outstanding assets in our community, and the Rowan County Chamber Ag Committee, Rowan County Extension and the Rowan County TDA, including the Arts Council, are excited to show our community and visitors the wonderful experiences that are unique to Rowan County,” said Michelle Patterson, chairwoman of the chamber’s Ag Committee.
“We look forward to the Rowan Arts & Ag Farm Tour being an annual event that highlights all that is ‘kinda country’ and ‘kinda cool’ in Rowan County,” Patterson said.
The tour will include:
• Morgan Ridge Vineyards & Brewhouse, 486 John Morgan Road, Gold Hill.
• Emerald Rose Farm, 575 Windy Knob Way, Salisbury.
• Elium Farm, 2085 Lake Road, Salisbury.
• Twin Creek Farm, 2205 Hollywood Drive, Salisbury.
• Piedmont Research Station, 8350 Sherrills Ford Road, Salisbury.
• Country Life Museum, 550 Sloan Road, Mount Ulla.
• Back Creek Farms, 2600 Back Creek Church Road, Mount Ulla.
• West Rowan Farm, Home and Garden, 11575 N.C. 801, Mount Ulla.
• Bent Creek Ranch, 3955 Millbridge Road, China Grove.
• Patterson Farm Market & Tours, 10390 Caldwell Road, Mount Ulla.
• Moore Farm & Dairy, 2225 Hall Road, Mount Ulla.
• Cauble Creek Vineyard, 700 Cauble Farm Road, Salisbury.
In addition to touring the farms, visitors will be able to take part in activities at some locations. The schedule is:
• Morgan Ridge Vineyards and Brewhouse: Friday, Four-course dinner and screening of “Farmers of America” on the lawn; Saturday, food tent, lawn games and live music; Sunday, Farm-to-fork brunch (reservation required) and live music.
• Emerald Rose Farm: Visitors will see an Arabian breed and half Arabian stallion, mares and geldings, along with a newborn foal.
• Elium Farm: An extensive collection of John Deere equipment and farm memorabilia will be on display.
• Back Creek Farms: Guided pasture walk, 9:30 a.m., 11 a.m. and 2:30 p.m. Saturday and 3 p.m. Sunday.
• West Rowan Farm, Home and Garden: Live music with Big Barn Dance, 7 p.m. Saturday.
• Cauble Creek Vineyard: Wild Turkey Farms will serve food for purchase, 1-5 p.m. Sunday.
• Patterson Farm Market & Tours: Pick-your-own strawberries; hand-dipped ice cream and refreshments in the Snack Silo. Barnyard and Pappaw Carl’s Playground free all weekend.
While at the farms, participants may visit with artists and see hand-crafted jewelry, decorative glass, photography, fiber, leather, mixed media, metal works, sculpture, wood, clay, watercolors, drawings, decorative artists and more.
Some of the farms will offer value-added products, such as jarred and canned foods, honey, baked goods or farm-fresh meals. There is no fee to attend, and visitors can start and stop their tour at any location. To view a digital brochure, go to www.RowanArtsandAg.com/farm.
For more on Arts & Ag, go to www.RowanArtsandAg.com.