Week in review: Test your nose for local news
Published 12:00 am Sunday, May 27, 2018
1. As Salisbury City Council looks at a budget for 2018-2019, how many new officers has Police Chief Jerry Stokes requested?
2. At 6 p.m. June 4, the Rowan County Board of Commissioners will hold a public hearing on a proposed 2018-19 budget that would do what to the county’s current property tax rate of 66.25 cents per $100 valuation?
A. Keep it at the same rate
B. Raise the rate by 1 cent to 67.25 cents per $100 valuation
C. Decrease the tax rate to an even 66 cents per $100 valuation
D. Increase the tax rate to 71.25 cents per $100 valuation
3. The previously undefeated season of the Salisbury High School women’s soccer team ended last Tuesday, as it finished the year 25-1. What school beat Salisbury in the 2A state playoff match?
A. Charlotte Catholic
B. South Iredell
C. Gray Stone Day School
D. Lake Norman Charter
4. What business is going to replace the closed Firewater Restaurant and Lounge in the Avalon Plaza Shopping Center in Salisbury?
A. A new CVS Pharmacy
B. A Domino’s Pizza
C. A Red Lobster
D. An IGA grocery store
5. Why was a big crowd at the Salisbury Biscuitville at 515 Jake Alexander Blvd. last Tuesday?
A. The restaurant sponsored a tug-o-war between the Salisbury City Council and the Rowan County Board of Commissioners to raise money for Rowan Helping Ministries
B. Biscuitville gave away free food for an hour to encourage people to see its renovated space and a new “Fresh Southern” branding
C. Half of all receipts that day went to support Relay for Life
D. The company was celebrating its 50th anniversary in North Carolina with big prize giveaways at all of its locations
6. Sweet Meadow Cafe, an eating establishment in downtown Salisbury, has moved from North Main Street and reopened where?
A. On Jake Alexander Boulevard
B. On Mahaley Avenue
C. On West Innes Street
D. On East Fisher Street
7. More than 2,000 students in Rowan-Salisbury Schools are being recognized with at-home yard placards that say they are “extraordinary.” Extraordinary what?
B. Student athletes
C. Contributors to the community
D. Nutritional eaters
8. Bishop Michael Curry, who gained national attention when he gave the sermon at the royal wedding of Prince Harry and Meghan Markle, is known to many Salisburians through his former role as what?
A. Head of the AME Zion Church in Western North Carolina
B. Bishop of the Episcopal Church’s N.C. Diocese
C. President of Livingstone College
D. President of Hood Theological Seminary
9. Larry Farmer, director of human resources at Catawba College, is retiring after 20 years. Farmer is a native of what Rowan County town?
C. Granite Quarry
10. U.S. News and World Report has ranked Gray Stone Day School in Misenheimer as one of the top public high schools in the country. Out of 26,000 public high schools in the United States, where did Gray Stone rank?