• 52°

Rowan weather: Blame it on the rain

If the low pressure in the Gulf of Mexico becomes a tropical storm, next week could bring very heavy rain. Even if it does not reach that status, the low will bring rain throughout the weekend and into next week.

Today will be mostly cloudy and 82, with south wind  at 5-7 mph. We’ll have a 40 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms, but less than a tenth of an inch of rain is expected. It will be a Code Yellow air quality day.

Tonight, we’ll still have a 40 percent chance of showers and storms, with mostly cloudy skies and a low of 67. Winds will be from the south around 6 mph. Again, less than a tenth of an inch of rain is expected.

Saturday will be mostly cloudy and 82 again, with a 50 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. South southwest wind will be around 6-8 mph. A tenth to quarter inch of rain is possible. It will also be a Code Yellow air quality day.

With a 40 percent chance of showers and storms, Saturday night will be mostly cloudy and 68, with south southwest wind at 3-6 mph. Not much rain is expected.

Sunday has a 40 percent chance of showers, with thunderstorms possible after 11 a.m. It will still be mostly cloudy and around 82, with south wind at 5-7 mph. Sunday night’s chance of rain will be 60 percent, with a low of 67.

Memorial Day will just be more of the same, with a 60 percent chance of showers, with thunderstorms after 11 a.m. It will be cloudy and 80. The rain chance Monday night will be 50 percent, with showers early, then thunderstorms. The low will be 67.

Tuesday also has a 50 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. It will be mostly cloudy and 84. Same chance of rain Tuesday night, with a low of 68 and mostly cloudy skies.

Then the chance of rain goes up for Wednesday to 60 percent, with thunderstorms likely. It will be cloudy and 82. Same chance of rain Wednesday night, with a low of 69 and more clouds.

Thursday will have a 70 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms, and be cloudy and 82 again.

Comments

Education

None speak against closure during hearing to shutter Faith Elementary

Crime

Blotter: Police find car windows shot out, bullet holes in home on West Horah Street

Crime

Five held at gunpoint in East Lafayette Street robbery

Ask Us

Ask Us: Readers ask questions about Shober Bridge, voting safeguards

Elections

Political notebook: More than 1.4 million votes cast already in North Carolina

Elections

‘Souls to the polls’: More than 1,300 cast ballots on first Sunday of early voting

Crime

Crime blotter: Salisbury man faces charges for firing shotgun in city limits, drug possession

Local

Search continues for missing hiker from Asheville

Local

A stroll through the scarecrows: fall-themed activity draws visitors to NC Transportation Museum

Elections

Despite scandal, Cunningham maintains small lead in Senate race; supporters say policy positions more important

Lifestyle

Rowan Helping Ministries golf tournament raises $20,000

Local

Town of Spencer forging ahead five years after drafting plans for Park Plaza

Business

Biz Roundup: RCCC to host conference on diversity, equity and inclusion

Business

Elderberry syrup: the popular purple product that has become a mainstay in local stores

Local

Trinity Oaks to host Halloween Spooktacular

Entertainment

Lee Street theatre improves virus prevention tactics, “determined” for ‘Fun Home’ to open

News

Deficient NC absentee ballots frozen pending further rulings

News

Cunningham outraises Tillis, enters October with less cash

News

Ex- GOP lawmaker charged with assaulting poll worker

Nation/World

Trump leans into fear tactics in bid to win Midwest states

Business

Commissioners to consider incentives for 142-job project, Reaper’s Realm permit

Local

Salvation Army Christmas assistance program moves online this year

Education

Faith, Enochville closure hearings to be held Monday, Tuesday

Business

In 2020, local farmers faced wet weather, other challenges