Week in review: Test your nose for local news
Published 12:00 am Sunday, May 13, 2018
1. In last Tuesday’s Republican Primary for three seats on the Rowan County Board of Commissioners, Greg Edds, Jim Greene and Judy Klusman came in first, second and third, respectively. Who was fourth?
A. Craig Pierce
B. Jim Sides
C. Mike Julian
D. Carl Ford
2. At the polls last Tuesday, Salisbury voters approved a lease of the city’s broadband system, Fibrant, to Hotwire Communications. What percentage of voters said “yes” to the lease?
A. 52.6 percent
B. 68.3 percent
C. 75 percent
D. 81.5 percent
3. Who did Democrats choose Tuesday as their candidate to challenge incumbent Republican Ted Budd and Libertarian Tom Bailey in the U.S. House District 13 race in November?
A. Adam Coker
B. Kathy Manning
C. Richard Hudson
D. Frank McNeill
4. Teachers from across the state plan to attend a protest in Raleigh May 16 to push for better pay and better working conditions. What did the Rowan-Salisbury Board of Education decide in relation to May 16?
A. Nothing yet. It has scheduled an emergency meeting for Monday night
B. Rowan-Salisbury teachers will be allowed to attend the Raleigh rally if they want, but if they miss school May 16, they will not be paid
C. It will be an optional teacher workday
D. Teachers can miss that school day, but if they do the cost of substitutes must come out of their salaries.
5. Spencer Town Manager Reid Walters has resigned effective May 31 to take a job in what municipality?
A. Franklin, Tennessee
B. Walterboro, South Carolina
C. Sanford, Florida
D. Independence, Virginia
6. The Cheerwine Festival will be held in downtown Salisbury this coming Saturday. The proceeds from sales of soft drinks at Cheerwine tents will benefit what local agency?
A. Rowan County Youth Services Bureau
B. Rowan Helping Ministries
C. Families First
D. Food for Thought
7. With help of a gift from Fred and Alice Stanback, the LandTrust for Central North Carolina recently purchased the peak of Dark Mountain. In what county is Dark Mountain located?
A. Montgomery County
B. Stanly County
C. Rowan County
D. Randolph County
8. The town of Landis recently celebrated a grand opening for a 98-acre recreational spot, which has seen many upgrades, including a disc golf course and better access for kayakers. What’s the name for this place?
A. Lake Corriher Wilderness Area
B. Bump and Run Park
C. Fox Creek Cave
D. Burns Memorial Park
9. Eagle Scout Zach Huddleston recently wrapped up a string of 12 years doing what for the town of Granite Quarry?
A. Spending every other Saturday picking up trash along U.S. 52
B. Sounding the Fire Department’s siren every Saturday at noon, as part of a mandatory test
C. Leading the Pledge of Allegiance at Granite Quarry Board of Aldermen meetings
D. Raising the flag at Town Hall every morning
10. Jacqueline Brown has been taking her terminally ill dog many places and sharing a lot of new experiences with him over the past six months, trying to cover a bucket list of things they are accomplishing together before the dog dies. What is the dog’s name?
B. Apricot, “Appy” for short
Answers to news quiz: