Katie Garner: 30 lessons I’ve learned in 30 years
By Katie Garner
Special to the Salisbury Post
1. Be unapologetically you.
2. Your parents are genuinely cool. Spend as much time with them as you can.
3. Sometimes all you need is a pint of Ben and Jerry’s Phish Food, or a glass of wine, or both.
4. Weekend trips are good for the soul. Take lots of them, and take them often.
5. Sending hand-written thank you notes speaks louder than a text message.
6. Family really is everything!
7. Sometimes all it takes is a change of perspective.
8. Not everyone has your best interest at heart. Learn that and learn to let them go.
9. Good girlfriends are the key to a good life. You might know them for a lifetime, a decade, a year or a day. Never will you ever laugh harder or have better memories than with good, genuine girlfriends. You’re always in each other’s corner — laughing, smiling, crying, or laughing some more. It’s fun! They are a true gift.
10. Giving to others is so much more fun than receiving anything.
11. Smiling and laughing cure more than medicine can.
12. Crying, whether in joy or sadness, is sometimes exactly what you need.
13. Friendships after high school and college require effort. Put in the effort. Make the trip. It’s so worth it. I don’t know what I would do without my friends.
14. It really is “socially acceptable” to not always wear make-up and do your hair. A messy ponytail, bare face, and Zella leggings are my best friend on most days.
15. There is always an adventure to be had and a new friend to be made. Whether it’s in line at the grocery store or a weekend trip with girlfriends — say hello to a stranger everyday! Life is awesome. There is always more to discover.
16. It’s OK to not be married, not know how to cook and not have children at 30. Sometimes, being a fun friend/cousin who orders lots of take-out on your weekly visits to see the babies is just as fulfilling! 🙂 Trust God’s timing and take pressure from no-one! 😉
17. Passing judgment is the most toxic thing you can do. So, don’t. Love and embrace everyone. It’s more fun, and so much more fulfilling that way!
18. Kindness counts above all else. It does not matter how good-looking, educated, passionate or interesting someone is. It all means nothing without kindness.
19. A title should never determine your self-worth.
20. Trust your gut!
21. Sisters are a true gift. Always keep that relationship strong. She’s always in your corner, and vise versa! (brothers are great, too!)
22. Being a bridesmaid is one of the greatest titles I’ve ever held.
23. Money can buy a lot of things but it cannot buy you class. Thanks, Countess Luann de Lesseps!
24. Bravo TV is actually good for the soul. RHONY gives me life!
25. Trying to be perfect, and trying to please everyone is extremely overrated. Have F-U-N on the daily, and don’t try to be so perfect all the time. It’s freakin’ exhausting. Live in the moment, and enjoy it!
26. Life is very much unfair. It’s like a rollercoaster. Sometimes it hurts so bad you can’t breathe, but then other time’s it’s so good you can’t stand it. Either way- keep smiling. God’s got it!
27. Church on Sunday really does make the day better. Faith and a relationship with Christ are everything.
28. The sweetest words you will ever hear are “I love you.”
29. Whatever your heart desires was put there for a reason. Listen to it, and you’ll find so much happiness.
30. Love yourself. In the words of a random man I passed in the hallway the other day, “Keep it classy and fantastic. Always!”
Salisbury native Katie Garner is a weather forecaster at FOX 8 WGHP in High Point.
Mack Williams After reading Kent Bernhardt’s enjoyable article about his pimento cheese addiction, I had an overwhelming compulsion to acquire... read more